Azusa Pacific University’s Cheer and Dance teams comprise students who support the athletic teams here on campus by generating crowd enthusiasm, promoting school spirit, and supporting our athletes throughout the year. They are highly visible and active in the APU community. The programs pride themselves on a history of excellence, and continue to build upon past success. Setting high goals to keep God First, both spirit squads consist of students who are leaders on campus as well as within their communities.
- Support Cougar athletic teams
- Encourage athletic fans and promote Cougar pride
- Facilitate spiritual, academic, and athletic performance in each team member
- Represent APU and Christ with excellence
- God First—always
- Promote community and campus involvement
- Create an exciting game-time experience for spectators
Both squads meet two to three times a week starting at the beginning of September through the end of April. Meetings focus on pride-building methods and preparation for upcoming events. Practice schedules during the year are based upon a variety of factors, including the class schedules of participating students. APU Cheer members will be required to attend summer camp.
Want to Join APU Cheer or Dance?
Cheer & Mascot Tryouts
Monday, April 16, at 6 p.m. in the Cougar Dome. Registration is at 5:30 p.m.
Come prepared to perform dance and cheer routines that will be posted on our APU Cheer YouTube channel the day before tryouts.
Video tryouts are also accepted, and are due Friday, April 20, at noon. Please include:
- 5/8-count dance
- 2 chants/cheers with motions
- All standing and running tumbling
- Stunting (indicate what position)
- Tell us why you want to be an APU cheerleader, and what you feel you can offer to the program. Lastly, give us an example of your leadership style.
Submit YouTube videos to: firstname.lastname@example.org
What we are looking for:
- Students with large personalities and strong voices
- Not afraid to lead and encourage a large crowd
- Spirit and pride for Cougar athletics
- Knowledge of game-time situations (when to lead a cheer)
- Basic knowledge of stunting
- Tumbling highly encouraged but not required
Tryouts will be held September 7-8; the first day will be a dance clinic to learn what will be expected during day 2 of tryouts.
- High level of technique, endurance, and strength
- Fierce, sharp movement with grace at the core
- Knowledge of jazz, contemporary, or hip-hop dance styles
- Come prepared to show any acrobatics, turn combinations, or tricks.
Please note that you must also apply for undergraduate admission before you will be considered.
Plan a Visit
The best way to get to know Azusa Pacific’s Cougar Spirit Squads is to see them in action at a game. For more information, contact Rosie Francis at email@example.com.
“We are excited that you are considering being a part of our program! We will push you to excellence, keeping Christ as the focus of all we do. Come ready to work hard and be a part of our family. Go Cougars!”
— Rosie Francis, Program Coordinator