Azusa Pacific University’s Cheer and Dance teams are composed of students who support the athletic teams here on campus by generating crowd enthusiasm, promoting school spirit, and supporting our athletes throughout the year. They are highly visible and active in the APU community. The programs pride themselves on a history of excellence, and continue to build upon past success. Setting high goals to keep God First, both spirit squads consist of students who are leaders on campus as well as within their communities.
- Support Cougar athletics teams
- Encourage athletics fans and promote Cougar pride
- Facilitate spiritual, academic, and athletic performance in each team member
- Represent APU and Christ with excellence
- God First—always
- Promote community and campus involvement
- Create an exciting game-time experience for spectators
Both teams meet two to three times a week starting at the beginning of September and continuing through the end of March. Cheerleaders practice Tuesday–Thursday and are also required to attend workouts Monday and Friday. Practice schedules during the year are based upon a variety of factors, including the class schedules of participating students. APU Cheer members will be required to attend summer camp prior to the start of classes.
Want to Join APU Cheer or Dance Co.?
Cheer Tryouts and Mascot Tryouts
Saturday, April 16, 1-6 p.m., in the Cougar Dome on East Campus.
Tryouts on Campus
- Cheer and Dance
- View our APU Tryout Dance and Cheer 2015 tutorial video available on our YouTube page.
- We will have the music prepared for you at tryouts.
- Also, come prepared with your own 10-15-second cheer with motions.
- Not required but strongly recommended.
- All standing and running tumbling will be performed on a mat provided at tryouts.
- Jumps to tumbling.
- Left/right hurdler
- You will be required to stunt with other applicants and APU Cheer returners at tryouts.
- Stunting experience (college, all-star, or high school) required at any position.
Video tryouts are accepted, and are due by Saturday, April 30. Please include:
- 5/8-count dance set to music
- 1 chant/cheer with motions
- Jumps: Toe touch, hurdler, and combination
- All standing and running tumbling
- Stunting (indicate what position, and please include a maximum of three stunts showing your best stunting ability; flyers minimum requirement: heel stretch ending in a twisting cradle.)
- Include answers to these questions:
- Why do you want to be an APU cheerleader?
- Why are you choosing to attend APU?
- What do you feel you can offer to the cheer program?
- What is an example of your leadership style?
Videos can be submitted electronically or via YouTube link to email@example.com by April 1. We will not accept any physical copies of tryout videos.
What We Are Looking For
- Students with large personalities and strong voices
- Students who are self-motivated, team players, and natural leaders
- Not afraid to lead and encourage a large crowd
- Spirit and pride for Cougar athletics
- Knowledge of game-time situations (when to lead a cheer)
- Basic knowledge of stunting
- Advanced tumbling highly encouraged but not required
Who is Eligible to Try Out?
- High school seniors with provisional admission to the university
- Undergraduate or graduate transfer students with provisional admission to the university
- Full-time undergraduate or graduate APU students with good academic standing with the university
- You may NOT hold any other leadership positions on campus (e.g., Alpha Leader), as cheer is a big commitment.
Check out the Azusa Pacific Cheerleading YouTube page.
Azusa Pacific Dance Company
Who We Are
A student-run dance company that practices 2–3 times per week and performs at football and basketball games. In the spring, we plan our own dance concert. We specialize in contemporary and jazz styles.
What We Are Looking For
- High level of technique, endurance, and strength
- Fierce, sharp movement with grace at the core
- Knowledge of jazz, contemporary, or hip-hop dance styles
- Come prepared to show any acrobatics, turn combinations, or tricks
March 28, 2015, at 3 p.m. in the Cougar Dome. Arrive early!
Be prepared to do across-the-floor combinations, learn a routine, and perform your own 30–45-second solo.
What to Bring
- Dance clothes
- Small photo
- Recommendation Form filled out by a former teacher or mentor
- Be prepared to do a 30–45-second solo in the style of your choice (bring your music on an iPod, MP3 player, or phone)
Dance Co. Video Submission Requirements (MS Word)
Dance Co. Recommendation Form (MS Word)
Plan a Visit
The best way to get to know Azusa Pacific’s Cougar Spirit Squads is to see them in action at a game. For more information, contact Lucille Chavez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“We are excited that you are considering being a part of our program! We will push you to excellence, keeping Christ as the focus of all we do. Come ready to work hard and be a part of our family. Go Cougars!”
“And let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.”—Hebrews 12:1
— Lucille Chavez, Program Coordinator