Azusa Pacific University’s Cheer and Dance teams are composed of students who support the athletic teams here on campus by generating crowd enthusiasm, promoting school spirit, and supporting our athletes throughout the year. They are highly visible and active in the APU community. The programs pride themselves on a history of excellence, and continue to build upon past success. Setting high goals to keep God First, both spirit squads consist of students who are leaders on campus as well as within their communities.
- Support Cougar athletics teams
- Encourage athletics fans and promote Cougar pride
- Facilitate spiritual, academic, and athletic performance in each team member
- Represent APU and Christ with excellence
- God First—always
- Promote community and campus involvement
- Create an exciting game-time experience for spectators
Both teams meet two to three times a week starting at the beginning of September through the end of April. Cheerleaders are also required to work out two days a week outside of regular practice times. Practice schedules during the year are based upon a variety of factors, including the class schedules of participating students. APU Cheer members will be required to attend summer camp prior to the start of classes.
Want to Join APU Cheer or Dance?
Cheer and Mascot Tryouts
Saturday, March 1, 9 a.m.–1 p.m., in the Cougar Dome on East Campus. Registration starts at 8:30 a.m.
Video tryouts are accepted, and are due by Saturday, March 8. Please include:
- 5/8-count dance set to music
- 1 chant/cheer with motions
- Jumps: Toe touch, hurdler, and combination
- All standing and running tumbling
- Stunting (indicate what position, and please include a maximum of three stunts showing your best stunting ability; flyers minimum requirement: heel stretch ending in a twisting cradle.)
- Include answers to these questions:
- Why do you want to be an APU cheerleader?
- Why are you choosing to attend APU?
- What do you feel you can offer to the cheer program?
- What is an example of your leadership style?
Videos can be submitted electronically or via YouTube link to email@example.com by March 8. We will not accept any physical copies of tryout videos.
- Standing back handspring
- Standing tuck (suggested)
- Toe touch back handspring
- Round-off back handspring
- High school to all-star stunting experience.
- Bases that can exhibit strength and experience in high school or all-star stunting.
- Flyers who can show advanced body positions and ability to do twisting cradles are highly preferred.
Cheer and Dance
- Please come prepared with your own 5/8-count dance and cheer.
What We Are Looking For
- Students with large personalities and strong voices
- Students who are self-motivated, team players, and natural leaders
- Not afraid to lead and encourage a large crowd
- Spirit and pride for Cougar athletics
- Knowledge of game-time situations (when to lead a cheer)
- Basic knowledge of stunting
- Advanced tumbling highly encouraged but not required
Who is Eligible to Try Out?
- High school seniors with provisional admission to the university
- Undergraduate or graduate transfer students with provisional admission to the university
- Full-time undergraduate or graduate APU students with good academic standing with the university
Mascot tryouts will be held at the same time as cheer tryouts. We are looking for people who have big personalities and can display it through movement—you will be highly visible at most sporting events and campuswide activities.
- High level of technique, endurance, and strength
- Fierce, sharp movement with grace at the core
- Knowledge of jazz, contemporary, or hip-hop dance styles
- Come prepared to show any acrobatics, turn combinations, or tricks
Please note that you must also apply for undergraduate admission before you will be considered.
Plan a Visit
The best way to get to know Azusa Pacific’s Cougar Spirit Squads is to see them in action at a game. For more information, contact Rosie Francis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“We are excited that you are considering being a part of our program! We will push you to excellence, keeping Christ as the focus of all we do. Come ready to work hard and be a part of our family. Go Cougars!”
— Rosie Francis, Program Coordinator