Azusa Pacific University’s Cheer Team is composed of students who support the athletic teams here on campus by generating crowd enthusiasm, promoting school spirit, and supporting our athletes throughout the year. They are highly visible and active in the APU community. The program prides itself on a history of excellence, and continues to build upon past success. Setting high goals to keep God First, APU Cheer consists of students who are leaders on campus as well as within their communities.
- Support ALL Cougar athletics teams
- Encourage athletics fans and promote Cougar pride
- Facilitate spiritual, academic, and athletic performance in each team member
- Represent APU and Christ with excellence
The focus of our team is to serve APU and its community as outward disciples for Christ by always putting God First. The APU Cheer mission is to promote and uphold school spirit, unity, and tradition at sporting events and functions.
APU Cheer practices three times a week starting at the beginning of September and continuing through the end of March. APU Cheer practice is Tuesday–Thursday, and required workouts in the gym are on Monday and Friday. Practice times during the year are based upon a variety of factors, including the class schedules of participating students. APU Cheer members are required to attend summer camp prior to the start of classes. For the 2016-17 season, cheer camp will be held August 19-26, 2016.
APU Cheer College Clinic
This clinic is designed for athletes looking to cheer at the collegiate level, and is a great opportunity for athletes to train together and learn from experienced collegiate athletes and coaches. The clinic focuses on learning proper technique and mechanics for stunting, injury prevention, group stunts, partner stunts, and pyramids. No experience necessary in order to participate. High school, transfer, community college, and current APU students are eligible to participate. APU Cheer is a coed team, so men and women are welcome.
April 9, 2016
9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Felix Event Center Auxiliary Court (second floor)
Saturday, April 16, 1-6 p.m., in the Cougar Dome on East Campus.
Tryouts on Campus
- Cheer and Dance
- Not required but strongly recommended.
- All standing and running tumbling will be performed on a mat provided at tryouts.
- Jumps to tumbling.
- Left/right hurdler
- You will be required to stunt with other applicants and APU Cheer returners at tryouts.
- Stunting experience (college, all-star, or high school) required at any position.
Video tryouts are accepted, and are due by Saturday, April 30. Please include:
- 5/8-count dance set to music
- 1 chant/cheer with motions
- Jumps: Toe touch, hurdler, and combination
- All standing and running tumbling
- Stunting (indicate what position, and please include a maximum of three stunts showing your best stunting ability; flyers minimum requirement: heel stretch ending in a twisting cradle.)
- Include answers to these questions:
- Why do you want to be an APU cheerleader?
- Why are you choosing to attend APU?
- What do you feel you can offer to the cheer program?
- What is an example of your leadership style?
Videos can be submitted electronically or via YouTube link to email@example.com by April 30. We will not accept any physical copies of tryout videos.
What We Are Looking For
- Students with large personalities and strong voices
- Students who are self-motivated, team players, and natural leaders
- Not afraid to lead and encourage a large crowd
- Spirit and pride for Cougar athletics
- Knowledge of game-time situations (when to lead a cheer)
- Basic knowledge of stunting
- Advanced tumbling highly encouraged but not required
Who is Eligible to Try Out?
- High school seniors with provisional admission to the university
- Undergraduate or graduate transfer students with provisional admission to the university
- Full-time undergraduate or graduate APU students with good academic standing with the university
- You may NOT hold any other leadership positions on campus (e.g., Alpha Leader), as cheer is a big commitment.
Azusa Pacific Dance Company
We are a student-led dance company that practices twice per week and performs at football and basketball games. In the spring, we plan our own dance concert. We specialize in contemporary and jazz styles.
- Promote and uphold school spirit
- Make a difference in the community
- Host our annual Spring Dance Concert that supports a local charity
Our main focus as a dance company is to serve our community while being a light to others. Our team strives to be a light on our campus and in this community. This means that we will continue to put God First in our daily walk, in our studies, and in dance.
Practices are held twice a week. Practice times during the year are based upon a variety of factors, including the class schedules of participating students.
Saturday, April 9, 2016, from 3-7 p.m., in the Cougar Dome on East Campus. Be prepared to do across-the-floor combinations, learn a routine, and perform your own 30-45-second solo.
- High level of technique, endurance, and strength
- Fierce, sharp movement with grace at the core
- Knowledge of jazz, contemporary, or hip-hop dance styles
- Come prepared to show any acrobatics, turn combinations, or tricks
What to Bring
- Dance clothes
- Small photo
- Recommendation Form filled out by a former teacher or mentor
- Be prepared to do a 30-45-second solo in the style of your choice (bring your music on an iPod, MP3 player, or phone)
Dance Co. Video Submission Requirements (MS Word)
Dance Co. Reccomendation Form (MS Word)
Plan a Visit
The best way to get to know Azusa Pacific’s Cougar Spirit Squads is to see them in action at a game. For more information, contact Lucille Chavez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“We are excited that you are considering being a part of our program! We will push you to excellence, keeping Christ as the focus of all we do. Come ready to work hard and be a part of our family. Go Cougars!”
“And let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.”—Hebrews 12:1
— Lucille Chavez, Program Coordinator