GLENDORA, Calif. -- Junior Patrick Kur and sophomore Matthijs Bolsius unseated the 2007 small college national champion doubles pair of Eric Rubens and Blake Meister, triggering a doubles sweep that helped defending NAIA runner-up Azusa Pacific post an impressive 8-1 win over NCAA Division II’s No. 6-ranked UC San Diego Saturday at Citrus College.
Kur and Bolsius posted the narrow 9-7 win after both of the Cougars’ No. 2 and 3 doubles teams finished off 8-5 victories to set up the doubles sweep, and Azusa Pacific carried its momentum into singles. Bolsius, Kur and sophomore Mathias Weber each won in straight sets in the top 3 singles spots to clinch the victory.
Kur knocked off Bijan Moallemi, the No. 23-ranked singles player in NCAA Division II in 2007, by a 6-1, 6-1 tally at No. 2 singles, while Bolsius beat 2007 NCAA Division II No. 37-ranked Eric Rubens at No. 1 singles, 7-5, 6-2. Weber’s 6-1, 6-4 win over Kazumi Negishi actually clinched the decisive fifth point of the day for Azusa Pacific.
Meister picked up the lone win for the Tritons at No. 4 singles, but senior Art Fatkhiev and sophomore Jan Friedrich each won, also in straight sets, at No. 5 and 6 singles, respectively, to pick up the final 2 points of the 8-1 win.
With the victory, Azusa Pacific improves to 3-0 on the season, while UC San Diego drops to 1-1. The Cougars are back in action on Saturday, Feb. 9, visiting NCAA Division III’s No. 4-ranked Claremont-Mudd-Scripps in a 1:30 p.m. contest.
Azusa Pacific 8, UC San Diego 1
1. Matthijs Bolsius (APU) def. Eric Rubens (UCSD), 7-5, 6-2
2. Patrick Kur (APU) def. Bijan Moallemi (UCSD), 6-1, 6-1
3. Mathias Weber (APU) def. Kazumi Negishi (UCSD), 6-1, 6-4
4. Blake Meister (UCSD) def. Ronald Chow (APU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Art Fatkhiev (APU) def. Vincent Nguyen (UCSD), 7-5, 6-2
6. Jan Friedrich (APU) def. Alex Whitmore (UCSD), 6-3, 7-5
1. Bolsius/Kur (APU) def. Meister/Rubens (UCSD), 9-7
2. Fatkhiev/Weber (APU) def. Chad Becker/Moallemi (UCSD), 8-5
3. Chow/Daniel Moore (APU) def. Alex Edstrom/Negishi (UCSD), 8-5