CLAREMONT, Calif. -- After winning each of its first 3 matches at home, Azusa Pacific went on the road for the first time in 2008, and the Cougars posted a 7-2 victory over NCAA Division III’s No. 4-ranked Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Saturday afternoon.
Claremont was able to hand Azusa Pacific its first doubles setback of the year at the No. 2 spot, but the Cougars took 2 out of 3 in doubles thanks to the No. 3 doubles team of sophomore Ronald Chow and freshman Daniel Moore, who pulled off the 9-8 win.
In singles, Azusa Pacific won 4 of the 6 matches in straight sets, and sophomore Mathias Weber’s 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 win at No. 3 singles helped the Cougars claim all but 1 point in singles for the 7-2 victory. Sophomore Matthijs Bolsius and junior Patrick Kur remained perfect with their third consecutive straight-sets singles victories to open the season.
Freshman Daniel Moore notched his third straight-set singles victory, winning by a 6-1, 6-1 margin at the No. 6 spot.
With the win, Azusa Pacific improves to 4-0 on the season, while Claremont-Mudd-Scripps drops to 2-3. The Cougars are off until next week’s busy 4-day weekend when they will host the NAIA’s No. 20-ranked Xavier (La.) on Friday, Feb. 15, followed by Saturday, Feb. 16’s Golden State Athletic Conference opener with California Baptist and a just-added morning matchup with NCAA Division I Brigham Young on Monday, Feb. 18 at 10:45 a.m. All 3 matches will take place at the Citrus College tennis courts.
Azusa Pacific 7, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 2
1. Matthijs Bolsius (APU) def. Mikey Lim (CMS), 7-5, 6-4
2. Patrick Kur (APU) def. Ben Hough (CMS), 6-3, 6-3
3. Mathias Weber (APU) def. Eric MacColl (CMS), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Art Fatkhiev (APU) def. Ben Wiener (CMS), 6-4, 6-1
5. Andrew Sabater (CMS) def. Ronald Chow (APU), 6-4, 6-3
6. Daniel Moore (APU) def. Kirthi Narasimhan (CMS), 6-1, 6-1
1. Bolsius/Kur (APU) def. Guillaume Schils/Lawrence Wang (CMS), 8-4
2. Hough/MacColl (CMS) def. Fatkhiev/Weber (APU), 8-3
3. Chow/Moore (APU) def. Wiener/Lim (CMS), 9-8 (3)