GLENDORA, Calif. -- Azusa Pacific trailed after doubles for the first time all season, but the Cougars rallied to a 6-3 victory over California Baptist by winning 5 of 6 singles matches. The victory extends Azusa Pacific’s conference winning streak to 53 matches, tying the GSAC all-sports win streak record set less than a month ago by Vanguard’s women’s basketball team.
Sophomore Ronald Chow and freshman Daniel Moore combined for an 8-2 win at No. 3 doubles, and each won in straight sets at No. 5 and 6 singles, respectively. Four of the Cougars’ 5 singles winners did so in straight sets, and sophomore Mathias Weber didn’t lose a single game after dropping the opening set in a 3-6, 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 3 singles.
Junior Patrick Kur was a 7-6, 6-1 winner at No. 2 singles, and senior Art Fatkhiev posted a 6-2, 6-3 victory at No. 4 singles to help seal the victory.
The 6-time defending GSAC champion Cougars will go for the conference winning streak record when they visit Biola on Friday, Feb. 22, at 2:30 p.m. Azusa Pacific finished the 2007 campaign with what was then a conference-record 52-match GSAC win streak before it was eclipsed by Vanguard’s 53rd straight women’s basketball win, a 91-71 victory over Azusa Pacific on Jan. 19. The Lions lost their very next contest at Point Loma Nazarene to keep the record at 53 straight.
With the win, Azusa Pacific remains unbeaten through 6 matches heading into Monday’s 10:45 a.m. clash with NCAA Division I Brigham Young University. The Cougars improve to 1-0 in GSAC, while California Baptist drops to 2-1 overall, 0-1 GSAC.
Azusa Pacific 6, California Baptist 3
1. Alessandro Ventre (CBU) def. Matthijs Bolsius (APU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Patrick Kur (APU) def. Carlos Cirne-Lima (CBU), 7-6, 6-1
3. Mathias Weber (APU) def. Patrick Olobo (CBU), 3-6, 6-0, 6-0
4. Art Fatkhiev (APU) def. Moti Eisikovits (CBU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Ronald Chow (APU) def. Karlis Miljons (CBU), 6-2, 7-6
6. Daniel Moore (APU) def. Andrew Meister (CBU), 6-1, 6-0
1. Cirne-Lima/Ventre (CBU) def. Bolsius/Kur (APU), 8-5
2. Eisikovits/Miljons (CBU) def. Dabbs/Weber (APU), 8-3
3. Chow/Moore (APU) def. Olobo/Pavan Polavarapu (CBU), 8-2