LA MIRADA, Calif. -- Despite finishing its 2007 season as the owner of the Golden State Athletic Conference’s longest conference winning streak in any sport at 52 matches, Azusa Pacific entered the 2008 campaign 1 win behind Vanguard’s women’s basketball team, which won its 53rd straight GSAC game Jan. 19 over Azusa Pacific before dropping its very next contest. The NAIA’s No. 2-ranked Cougars reclaimed the record with Friday’s 9-0 win over Biola that pushed the conference-record streak to 54 straight matches for the 6-time defending conference champions.
Azusa Pacific won 92 of the 107 games played in the match, with each of its top 4 singles players posting at least 1 perfect 6-0 set in their straight-set victories. The doubles accounted for a 24-8 margin, led by the 8-1 win at No. 1 doubles by the tandem of sophomore Ronald Chow and freshman Daniel Moore.
Chow was the Cougars’ lone perfect 6-0, 6-0 winner in singles, shutting out Biola’s Tyler Jung at No. 2 singles. Moore was a near-perfect 6-1, 6-0 winner over Colin Snow at the top singles spot.
Sophomore Danny Colten matched Moore’s tally with a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 4 singles, while sophomore Robby Dabbs posted a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 3 singles. Sophomores Eric Isaacson and John Phillips posted victories at No. 5 and 6, respectively, to round out the Cougars’ singles sweep.
With the win, Azusa Pacific improves to 7-1 overall, 2-0 GSAC, while Biola drops its third straight without winning a single team point to drop to 0-4 overall, 0-1 GSAC. The Cougars are back in action tomorrow for a chance to extend their conference-record winning streak when they take on Westmont in a GSAC road match in Santa Barbara.
Azusa Pacific 9, Biola 0
1. Daniel Moore (APU) def. Colin Snow (BU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Ronald Chow (APU) def. Tyler Jung (BU), 6-0, 6-0
3. Robby Dabbs (APU) def. Justin Mart (BU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Danny Colten (APU) def. Joel Huibregtse (BU), 6-1, 6-0
5. Eric Isaacson (APU) def. Dan Westman (BU), 6-1, 6-4
6. John Phillips (APU) def. Nicholas Lazar (BU), 8-0
1. Chow/Moore (APU) def. Jung/Snow (BU), 8-1
2. Dabbs/Phillips (APU) def. Huibregtse/Westman (BU), 8-2
3. Colten/Isaacson (APU) def. Mart/Alex Quan (BU), 8-3