SANTA BARBARA, Calif. -- Less than 24 hours after reclaiming the GSAC’s conference win streak record, Azusa Pacific put the record even further out of reach for potential future challengers with an 8-1 road win over Westmont that extended the NAIA’s No. 2-ranked Cougars’ conference winning streak to 55 matches.
Azusa Pacific cruised to 3 relatively easy doubles victories with a nearly all-sophomore lineup, winning by a combined 24-6 margin with sophomores Mathias Weber and John Phillips teaming up for an 8-1 win at the No. 3 position to lead the way. Freshman Daniel Moore was the only non-sophomore to participate in the victory for the Cougars, earning a straight-sets victory at No. 4 singles following his 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles with sophomore Ronald Chow.
Weber was also nearly perfect in singles, dropping just a single game in each set of a 6-1, 6-1 win over Aaron Cooke at No. 2 singles. Sophomore Robby Dabbs matched Weber with an identical score for the win at No. 5 singles. Dabbs also won at the top doubles position with sophomore Matthijs Bolsius by an 8-2 margin.
Westmont’s lone point came at No. 6 singles, where Ryan Shultz edged sophomore Eric Isaacson in a super tiebreaker after splitting the first 2 sets.
With the win, Azusa Pacific improves to 8-1 overall, 3-0 GSAC, while Westmont drops to 2-5 overall, 0-2 GSAC. The Cougars continue GSAC action on Tuesday, Feb. 26, hosting Hope International in a match that was originally scheduled to be played in Fullerton before a schedule conflict forced the match back to Azusa Pacific’s home courts at Citrus College in Glendora. The match is slated to begin at 2:30 p.m.
Azusa Pacific 8, Westmont 1
1. Matthijs Bolsius (APU) def. Kyle Godfrey (WC), 6-3, 6-7 (10-3)
2. Mathias Weber (APU) def. Aaron Cooke (WC), 6-1, 6-1
3. Daniel Moore (APU) def. Arthur Kalayjian (WC), 6-1, 6-4
4. Ronald Chow (APU) def. Kent Stormans (WC), 6-2, 6-3
5. Robby Dabbs (APU) def. Martin Park (WC), 6-1, 6-1
6. Ryan Shultz (WC) def. Eric Isaacson (APU), 2-6, 6-2 (10-7)
1. Bolsius/Dabbs (APU) def. Godfrey/Shultz (WC), 8-2
2. Chow/Moore (APU) def. Cooke/Stormans (WC), 8-3
3. John Phillips/Weber (APU) def. Kalayjian/Ryley Schultz (WC), 8-1