GLENDORA, Calif. -- Sophomore Ronald Chow’s 6-0, 6-0 No. 3 singles win highlighted Azusa Pacific’s 8-1 win over Cal Poly Pomona Monday afternoon at Citrus College.
Chow’s perfect 2-set sweep over Mike Palacio was his second singles shutout in the past 3 matches, and he also teamed with freshman Daniel Moore for a 9-8 win at No. 3 doubles, the tandem’s fifth straight doubles victory.
The NAIA’s No. 6-ranked Cougars got the doubles sweep for the fourth straight time and the seventh time in 11 matches this season. Sophomores Robby Dabbs and Matthijs Bolsius partnered for an 8-2 win at No. 1 doubles in just their third match together this season. Junior Patrick Kur and sophomore Mathias Weber, last year’s NAIA Tournament No. 1 doubles tandem, posted an 8-4 win at No. 2 for the doubles sweep.
Joshua Lau picked up Cal Poly Pomona’s lone point with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Dabbs at the top singles position, but the other 5 matches went Azusa Pacific’s way in straight sets.
With the victory, Azusa Pacific improves to 10-1 on the season, while Cal Poly Pomona drops to 4-4 overall. The Cougars return to GSAC play on Wednesday, March 5, when they host Concordia at 2:30 p.m. to make up last Saturday’s rained-out match between the teams.
Azusa Pacific 8, Cal Poly Pomona 1
1. Joshua Lau (CPP) def. Robby Dabbs (APU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Art Fatkhiev (APU) def. Salvador Romero (CPP), 6-0, 6-3
3. Ronald Chow (APU) def. Mike Palacio (CPP), 6-0, 6-0
4. Daniel Moore (APU) def. Jeffrey Vachirajongkol (CPP), 6-2, 6-2
5. Jan Friedrich (APU) def. Jackie Vachirajongkol (CPP), 6-1, 6-1
6. Danny Colten (APU) def. Eric Carlstrom (CPP), 6-2, 6-4
1. Matthijs Bolsius/Dabbs (APU) def. Lau/Romero (CPP), 8-2
2. Patrick Kur/Mathias Weber (APU) def. Carlstrom/Palacio (CPP), 8-4
3. Chow/Moore (APU) def. Harvey/Nedelisky (CPP), 9-8