GLENDORA, Calif. -- The NAIA’s No. 2-ranked Azusa Pacific posted a 9-0 victory over No. 18-ranked Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) Tuesday afternoon at Citrus College.
All 3 Cougar doubles teams posted 8-4 wins to sweep the first 3 points of the match, and the top 4 singles matches all went Azusa Pacific’s way in straight sets. Freshman Daniel Moore and sophomore Jan Friedrich needed third sets to seal the clean sweep of singles, as well.
Sophomore Mathias Weber posted the largest margin of victory in singles with a 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 2. Sophomore Ronald Chow wasn’t far behind with a 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 3, and sophomore Matthijs Bolsius was a 6-4, 6-2 winner at No. 1.
With the win, Azusa Pacific improves to 13-2 on the season, while Lewis-Clark State drops to 8-6. The Cougars host No. 5-ranked Savannah Art & Design (Ga.) on Wednesday, March 19, at 2:30 p.m. at Citrus College.
Azusa Pacific 9, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) 0
1. Matthijs Bolsius (APU) def. Cedric Dufour (LCSC), 6-4, 6-2
2. Mathias Weber (APU) def. Oliver Stone (LCSC), 6-1, 6-2
3. Ronald Chow (APU) def. Kevin Lee (LCSC), 6-1, 6-4
4. Art Fatkhiev (APU) def. Jonathan Berhane (LCSC), 7-5, 6-4
5. Daniel Moore (APU) def. Sebastian Kuhn (LCSC), 3-6, 6-1 (10-7)
6. Jan Friedrich (APU) def. Arslan Mermut (LCSC), 4-6, 6-2 (10-6)
1. Bolsius/John Phillips (APU) def. Dufour/Lee (LCSC), 8-4
2. Fatkhiev/Weber (APU) def. Berhane/Stone (LCSC), 8-4
3. Chow/Moore (APU) def. Kuhn/Mermut (LCSC), 8-4