COSTA MESA, Calif. -- Azusa Pacific’s 58-match conference winning streak lasted over 7 years. Three days after suffering a 5-4 defeat to Fresno Pacific, the NAIA’s No. 2-ranked Cougars finished the 2008 GSAC campaign with back-to-back conference defeats for the first time in over a decade, dropping a 6-3 road match to No. 15-ranked Vanguard Saturday.
After falling behind 2-1 after doubles, Azusa Pacific was defeated on the strength of 3 straight-sets singles wins at the Nos. 1, 3 and 4 singles positions. Junior Patrick Kur and freshman Daniel Moore each won in straight sets to gain 2 points for the Cougars. Kur defeated Dominic Stockler at No. 2, 6-3, 7-5, and Moore was a 7-5, 6-3 winner over Garrett Gillon at No. 6.
Moore teamed with sophomore Ronald Chow for Azusa Pacific’s only other point, an 8-2 No. 3 doubles victory.
Vanguard combined to win 16 of 23 games at No. 1 and 2 doubles, and Thomas Frank recorded the win over senior Art Fatkhiev in the contest’s only 3-set victory, bouncing back from an opening-set loss to post a 3-6, 6-4, 7-5 win.
With the defeat, Azusa Pacific drops to 17-4 overall, 6-2 GSAC, while Vanguard improves to 12-6 overall, 4-2 GSAC. The Cougars have completed conference play and will finish no worse than tied for second place behind current leader Fresno Pacific. Azusa Pacific takes on Hawaii Pacific on Tuesday, April 8, at 9 a.m. at Citrus College in Glendora before Thursday’s visit to NCAA Division I University of Hawaii to wrap up the regular-season slate. The NAIA Region II Playoffs will be held May 1-2 in Fresno.
Vanguard 6, Azusa Pacific 3
1. Florian Lemke (VU) def. Matthijs Bolsius (APU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Patrick Kur (APU) def. Dominic Stockler (VU), 6-3, 7-5
3. Tino Brodar (VU) def. Mathias Weber (APU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Gregory Chevalier (VU) def. Ronald Chow (APU), 6-4, 6-1
5. Thomas Frank (VU) def. Art Fatkhiev (APU), 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
6. Daniel Moore (APU) def. Garrett Gillon (VU), 7-5, 6-3
1. Brodar/Stockler (VU) def. Bolsius/Phillips (APU), 8-4
2. Chevalier/Lemke (VU) def. Kur/Weber (APU), 8-3
3. Chow/Moore (APU) def. Frank/Gillon (VU), 8-2