GLENDORA, Calif. -- Azusa Pacific suffered its third straight defeat to a ranked opponent after NCAA Division II’s No. 10-ranked Hawaii Pacific edged the NAIA’s No. 2-ranked Cougars, 5-4, in a Tuesday morning matchup at Citrus College.
Junior Patrick Kur and sophomore Mathias Weber picked up Azusa Pacific’s lone doubles point with an 8-2 win at No. 2, but Hawaii Pacific entered singles with a 2-1 lead thanks to victories at No. 1 and 3 doubles.
Sophomore Matthijs Bolsius and Kur each posted straight-sets singles victories at the top 2 singles positions to pull the Cougars to within 4-3, with freshman Daniel Moore and sophomore Ronald Chow both taking matches into 3 sets to keep Azusa Pacific alive in the match. Moore dominated the third set for a 4-6, 7-5, 6-1 win at No. 6 to even the match at 4-4.
Chow rallied to win the final 3 games of the second set, avoiding a straight-sets defeat, but Anton Samuilau used a strong finish to clinch the match with a 6-3, 5-7, 6-1 victory at No. 5 for the decisive fifth point that gave the Sea Warriors the road win.
With the loss, Azusa Pacific drops to 17-5 overall. The Cougars wrap up the regular season on Thursday, April 10, visiting NCAA Division I University of Hawaii. The Cougars will likely be 1 of 4 participants in the NAIA Region II Playoffs, which will be held May 1-2 in Fresno.
Hawaii Pacific 5, Azusa Pacific 4
1. Matthijs Bolsius (APU) def. Hendrik Bode (HPU), 6-1, 6-4
2. Patrick Kur (APU) def. Mark Mestan (HPU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Daniel Luedi (HPU) def. Mathias Weber (APU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
4. Nikola Petrov (HPU) def. Art Fatkhiev (APU), 6-0, 6-4
5. Anton Samuilau (HPU) def. Ronald Chow (APU), 6-3, 5-7, 6-1
6. Daniel Moore (APU) def. Jan Hroch (HPU), 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
1. Mestan/Samuilau (HPU) def. Bolsius/John Phillips (APU), 8-4
2. Kur/Weber (APU) def. Luedi/Petrov (HPU), 8-2
3. Bode/Hroch (HPU) def. Chow/Moore (APU), 8-1