FRESNO, Calif. -- The NAIA’s No. 4-ranked Azusa Pacific snapped its 4-match losing streak with a 5-0 victory over No. 5-ranked California Baptist Thursday evening in the NAIA Region II semifinals at Fresno Pacific University. The Cougars move on to defend their run of 8 consecutive Region II titles Friday, May 2, at 1 p.m., taking on the same Fresno Pacific squad that ended Azusa Pacific’s run of 6 straight GSAC titles and conference-record 58-match winning streak.
The NAIA Region II Tournament will cease to exist after this season as the NAIA has approved a move to a direct qualification method for its championship events beginning in the 2008-09 school year.
A pair of 8-0 doubles wins highlighted an Azusa Pacific doubles sweeps that paved the way for the victory. No. 2 doubles tandem of Patrick Kur and Mathias Weber blanked Andrew Meister and Patrick Olobo, and Ronald Chow and Daniel Moore claimed a shutout at No. 3 doubles over Patrick McCray and Pavan Polavarapu.
Matthijs Bolsius teamed with Robby Dabbs at No. 1 doubles in Dabbs’ first competitive action since early March, claiming an 8-6 win over California Baptist’s top duo of Moti Eisikovits and Karlis Miljons.
The Cougars wasted no time clinching their return to the finals with a pair of swift singles wins. Chow registered his second point of the day with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Meister at No. 4 singles, and Jan Friedrich’s 6-1, 6-2 win in his collegiate postseason debut at No. 6 singles sealed the team victory for Azusa Pacific, which improves to 18-6 on the season heading into tomorrow’s championship match against tournament host and NAIA No. 2-ranked Fresno Pacific.
Azusa Pacific 5, California Baptist 0
1. Matthijs Bolsius (APU) vs. Patrick Olobo (CBU), 6-2, 2-1 DNF
2. Patrick Kur (APU) vs. Moti Eisikovits (CBU), 6-1, 3-4 DNF
3. Mathias Weber (APU) vs. Karlis Miljons (CBU), 5-7, 0-0 DNF
4. Ronald Chow (APU) def. Andrew Meister (CBU), 6-3, 6-0
5. Daniel Moore (APU) vs. Pavan Polavarapu (CBU), 6-0, 3-2 DNF
6. Jan Friedrich (APU) def. Patrick McCray (CBU), 6-1, 6-2
1. Bolsius/Robby Dabbs (APU) def. Eisikovits/Miljons (CBU), 8-6
2. Kur/Weber (APU) def. Meister/Olobo (CBU), 8-0
3. Chow/Moore (APU) def. McCray/Polavarapu (CBU), 8-0