Ojai, Calif.-- Azusa Pacific’s top doubles team, junior Janosch Apelt and sophomore Jochem Hoefnagels, claimed the doubles championship at the prestigious 111th Annual Ojai Valley Tennis Tournament Sunday.
Apelt and Hoefnagels posted a 7-6 (7-2), 6-3 victory over Westmont’s Bryan Cox and Carlos Lima in the finals of the West Coast’s most prestigious spring event for college players as individuals. The doubles final turned out to be a rematch for Apelt and Hoefnagels, as Cox and Lima had bested them, 8-5, in a Golden State Athletic Conference match just a few weeks ago.
On their road to the finals, Apelt and Hoefnagels posted wins over teams from NCAA Div. II Sonoma State, NCAA Div. III Whittier, and GSAC rival Concordia University. Apelt and Hoefnagels won their first 2 matches easily, advancing to the semifinals by winning every set with a 6-2 score or better. In the semifinals, Apelt and Hoefnagels posted a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Concordia’s Andrey Potapkin and Bruno Santarelli.
Cox and Lima prevented an all-Cougar championship match, defeating Azusa Pacific’s Ben Eger and Whitman Hough by a 6-3, 6-2 verdict in the semifinals. For Hoefnagels, it meant his return trip to the Ojai doubles final was a rematch with the same Westmont pair he had defeated a year ago in the semifinals of this same tournament. As he did a year ago when teamed up with Matthijs Bolsius, Hoefnagels claimed the straight-set win, only this time for the tournament championship.
Azusa Pacific does not compete again until the upcoming NAIA Men’s Tennis National Championship, held May 17-21, in Mobile, Alabama.
Azusa Pacific results at 111th Annual Ojai Valley Tennis Tournament
Round of 32
Ben Eger (APU) def. Bryce Keefer (Sonoma State), 6-3; 6-3
(4) Jochem Hoefnagels (APU) def. Tyler McDonald (Hope International), 6-1; 6-1
D.J. Jaehnig (Point Loma Nazarene) def. Whitman Hough (APU), 6-2; 6-3
(2) Janosch Apelt (APU) def. Anthony Rollins (Sonoma State), 6-1; 6-1
Round of 16
(1) Carlos Lima (Westmont) def. Ben Eger (APU), 6-0; 6-1
Tiago Hayashi (Westmont) def. (4) Jochem Hoefnagels (APU), 6-2; 6-4
(2) Janosch Apelt (APU) def. Nathan Martinet (Fresno Pacific), 7-6 (7-5); 6-3
(8) Bryan Cox (Westmont) def. (2) Janosch Apelt (APU), 6-3; 6-1
Round of 16
(1) Apelt/Hoefnagels (APU) def. Dimler/Wyatt (Whittier), 6-2; 6-1
Eger/Hough (APU) def. Bernard/Prescott (Pomona-Pitzer), 6-4; 6-2
(1) Apelt/Hoefnagels (APU) def. Bianco/Keefer (Sonoma State), 6-2; 6-2
Eger/Hough (APU) def. Berdai/McNamara (Concordia), 7-5; 6-2
(1) Apelt/Hoefnagels (APU) def. Potapkin/Santarelli (Concordia), 6-1; 6-4
(2) Cox/Lima (Westmont) def. Eger/Hough (APU), 6-3; 6-2
(1) Apelt/Hoefnagels (APU) def. (2) Cox/Lima (Westmont), 7-6 (7-2); 6-3