LA MIRADA, Calif. -- Despite having just 5 players available, the NAIA’s No. 6-ranked Azusa Pacific posted a 7-2 victory over Biola Friday afternoon, winning every contested match in convincing fashion.
The Cougars gave up the points at No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles by default but won each of the other 5 singles matches in straight sets and won both remaining doubles by a combined 16-2 margin.
Freshman Casey Wetzig and senior Kim Tran led the way with identical 6-0, 6-0 wins at No. 2 and 3 singles, respectively, and Wetzig partnered with senior Bay Daniels for a perfect 8-0 shutout at No. 1 doubles. Tran was an 8-2 winner with junior Lindsey Cloninger at No. 2 doubles.
Daniels was 2 games shy of a perfect straight-sets win, settling for a 6-0, 6-2 win at the top singles spot, and Cloninger posted a perfect second set for a 6-3, 6-0 win at No. 4 singles. Sophomore Jessalyn Lau rounded out the match with a 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 5 singles for the Cougars.
With the win, Azusa Pacific improves to 5-1 overall, 2-0 in GSAC, while Biola remains winless in 4 matches this season and drops to 0-2 in the GSAC. The Cougars are back in action Saturday, Feb. 23, for a visit to Santa Barbara to take on Westmont, the second of 3 straight GSAC road matches for Azusa Pacific.
Azusa Pacific 7, Biola 2
1. Bay Daniels (APU) def. Brea Roth (BU), 6-0, 6-2
2. Casey Wetzig (APU) def. Nicholle Johnston (BU), 6-0, 6-0
3. Kim Tran (APU) def. Kristen Williams (BU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Lindsey Cloninger (APU) def. Marisa Flores (BU), 6-3, 6-0
5. Jessalyn Lau (APU) def. Kelli Shiroma (BU), 6-2, 7-5
6. Biola wins by default
1. Daniels/Wetzig (APU) def. Christine Garner/Johnston (BU), 8-0
2. Cloninger/Tran (APU) def. Roth/Snyder (BU), 8-2
3. Biola wins by default