AZUSA, Calif. -- The NAIA’s No. 6-ranked Azusa Pacific kept its early run through the Golden State Athletic Conference rolling with a 9-0 victory over Hope International Tuesday afternoon. In 4 GSAC matches so far, the Cougars have won 30 times in 33 singles and doubles matches not conceded by default or injury.
The No. 1 and 3 doubles teams each posted 8-0 wins, while senior Kim Tran and freshman Casey Wetzig fought for the doubles sweep with an 8-6 win at the No. 2 spot.
Senior Bay Daniels earned the first singles win after Hope International’s Minette Steyn retired from the match due to injury after Daniels won the opening set by a 6-0 margin. The other 5 singles matchups followed in short order, with the Cougars posting straight-sets victories in all 5. Freshman Jessalyn Lau was perfect on the day, posting a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 6 singles after teaming with junior Lindsey Cloninger for the 8-0 blanking at No. 3 doubles.
Cloninger was a 6-1, 6-2 victor at No. 5 singles, and freshman Sheryl Bon, an 8-0 winner at No. 1 doubles with Daniels, dropped only a single game in her 6-0, 6-1 victory at No. 3 singles. Tran was another 6-0, 6-1 winner at No. 4 singles, and Wetzig rounded out the Cougars’ perfect day with 6-3, 6-2 verdict at No. 2 singles.
With the win, Azusa Pacific improves to 7-1 overall, 4-0 GSAC, while Hope International remains winless through 6 overall matches and drops to 0-3 GSAC. The Cougars have a 2-week layoff from GSAC play following this Saturday’s home matchup with Concordia. First serve is scheduled for 10 a.m. at the Citrus College tennis courts.
Azusa Pacific 9, Hope International 0
1. Bay Daniels (APU) def. Minette Steyn (HIU), 6-0, ret. (inj.)
2. Casey Wetzig (APU) def. Alexandra Weiss (HIU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Sheryl Bon (APU) def. Kristine Brock (HIU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Kim Tran (APU) def. Brittney Munoz (HIU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Lindsey Cloninger (APU) def. McKenna Hamel (HIU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Jessalyn Lau (APU) def. Allison Hotz (HIU), 6-0, 6-0
1. Daniels/Bon (APU) def. Brock/Steyn (HIU), 8-0
2. Tran/Wetzig (APU) def. Munoz/Weiss (HIU), 8-6
3. Cloninger/Lau (APU) def. Hamel/Hotz (HIU), 8-0