GLENDORA, Calif. -- The NAIA’s No. 6-ranked Azusa Pacific swept its third straight opponent with Monday afternoon’s 9-0 win over NCAA Div. II’s No. 33-ranked Cal Poly Pomona Monday afternoon at Citrus College.
The Cougars survived a close call at No. 3 doubles, where junior Lindsey Cloninger and sophomore Jessalyn Lau escaped with a narrow 9-8 win over Mallory Brady and Kaitlin Wooldridge. Cloninger also survived the only third-set singles match, posting a 6-3, 2-6 (10-7) win over Wooldridge again at No. 5 singles.
Senior Kim Tran ran her individual winning streak to 9 straight matches with her 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 4 singles over Kara Fisher. In her last 5 singles sets, Tran has won 30 of 32 games. Lau won her fourth straight singles match with a 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 6 singles.
With the win, Azusa Pacific improves to 8-1 on the season, while Cal Poly Pomona drops to 2-5 overall. The Cougars will make up a GSAC match with Concordia on Wednesday, March 5, at 2:30 p.m., after the originally-scheduled Saturday, March 1 contest was rained out.
Azusa Pacific 9, Cal Poly Pomona 0
1. Bay Daniels (APU) def. Jenny Tsai (CPP), 6-1, 6-1
2. Casey Wetzig (APU) def. Jessica Winkler (CPP), 6-4, 6-4
3. Sheryl Bon (APU) def. Mallory Brady (CPP), 6-1, 7-5
4. Kim Tran (APU) def. Kara Fisher (CPP), 6-0, 6-0
5. Lindsey Cloninger (APU) def. Kaitlin Wooldridge (CPP), 6-3, 2-6 (10-7)
6. Jessalyn Lau (APU) def. Ellyn Caprara (CPP), 6-1, 6-3
1. Bon/Daniels (APU) def. Jennifer Chow/Tsai (CPP), 8-3
2. Tran/Wetzig (APU) def. Fallon Blattner/Fisher (CPP), 8-4
3. Cloninger/Lau (APU) def. Brady/Wooldridge (CPP), 9-8