GLENDORA, Calif. -- The NAIA’s No. 6-ranked Azusa Pacific made quick work of University of Alberta Saturday morning, collecting its ninth straight win with a 9-0 victory over the visiting Pandas.
After sweeping doubles for the fifth straight contest, its seventh doubles sweep in the past 9 dual matches, the Cougars won all 6 singles points with straight-sets wins, including sophomore Jessalyn Lau’s perfect 6-0, 6-0 sweep at the No. 6 position.
Senior Bay Daniels improved to 9-1 on the year, playing all 10 matches at the top singles position for the Cougars. She posted a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Susanne Fleischhacker that brought the match to a close. Freshman Casey Wetzig posted a 6-4, 6-2 win over Olga Weber at No. 2 singles, and the remaining 4 Cougar individuals won 48 of the 52 games contested from the number 3 through 6 positions.
All 3 Cougar doubles teams remained unbeaten on the season, with Daniels and freshman Sheryl Bon leading the way with an 8-4 win at No. 1 to remain unbeaten through 10 matches as a pair. Senior Kim Tran, whose singles victory lifted her season individual record to 11-0, remained unbeaten when teamed with Wetzig for the fifth time, posting an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles. Junior Lindsey Cloninger and Lau teamed up at No. 3 for an 8-2 win to improve to 5-0 as a tandem.
With the win, Azusa Pacific improves to 10-1 on the season. The Cougars have the next week off before returning to GSAC play with next Saturday’s 11 a.m. matchup with No. 12-ranked Point Loma Nazarene at Citrus College.
Azusa Pacific 9, Alberta 0
1. Bay Daniels (APU) def. Susanne Fleischhacker (UA), 6-3, 6-3
2. Casey Wetzig (APU) def. Olga Weber (UA), 6-4, 6-2
3. Sheryl Bon (APU) def. Ingrid McKibbin (UA), 6-0, 6-2
4. Kim Tran (APU) def. Sara Hollinshead (UA), 6-1, 6-0
5. Lindsey Cloninger (APU) def. Rosaleen McLarney (UA), 6-1, 6-0
6. Jessalyn Lau (APU) def. Natasha Melnychuk (UA), 6-0, 6-0
1. Bon/Daniels (APU) def. Fleischhacker/McKibbin (UA), 8-4
2. Tran/Wetzig (APU) def. Hollinshead/Weber (UA), 8-2
3. Cloninger/Lau (APU) def. McLarney/Melnychuk (UA), 8-2