GLENDORA, Calif. -- The NAIA’s No. 6-ranked Azusa Pacific posted its 10th straight victory with Saturday’s 8-1 win over No. 12-ranked Point Loma Nazarene. The Cougars swept doubles for the eighth time during the 10-match streak and have outscored their past 6 foes by a combined 52-2 margin.
The doubles contests featured the return of junior Katy Jelsma, who teamed with freshman Casey Wetzig for an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles. Jelsma had not played in a match since retiring in the second set of the Cougars’ Feb. 16 match against California Baptist.
Kristin Strimple posted Point Loma Nazarene’s lone point, edging senior Bay Daniels at No. 1 singles, 1-6, 6-3 (11-9). Azusa Pacific won the remaining 5 singles contests in straight sets, with freshman Sheryl Bon leading the way with a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 3.
Senior Kim Tran teamed with junior Lindsey Cloninger for the fourth time this season, and the pair came up with an 8-2 win at No. 3 doubles before each posted singles wins, as well. Tran was a 7-6, 6-3 winner at No. 4, and Cloninger collected a 6-1, 7-6 victory at No. 5. Sophomore Jessalyn Lau did not participate in doubles to allow for Jelsma’s return to the lineup, but she was a 6-4, 6-4 winner at No. 6 singles.
With the win, Azusa Pacific improves to 12-2 overall, 6-0 GSAC, while Point Loma Nazarene drops to 6-6 overall, 3-2 GSAC. The Cougars are back in action on Tuesday, March 18, when they host No. 14-ranked Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) in non-conference action.
Azusa Pacific 8, Point Loma Nazarene 1
1. Kristin Strimple (PLNU) def. Bay Daniels (APU), 1-6, 6-3 (11-9)
2. Casey Wetzig (APU) def. Kelsey Weir (PLNU), 6-3, 6-3
3. Sheryl Bon (APU) def. Taryn Zimmer (PLNU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Kim Tran (APU) def. Leanne Piper (PLNU), 7-6, 6-3
5. Lindsey Cloninger (APU) def. Brittany Hall (PLNU), 6-1, 7-6
6. Jessalyn Lau (APU) def. Holly Robins (PLNU), 6-4, 6-4
1. Bon/Daniels (APU) def. Strimple/Weir (PLNU), 8-5
2. Jelsma/Wetzig (APU) def. Hall/Piper (PLNU), 8-2
3. Tran/Cloninger (APU) def. Robins/Zimmer (PLNU), 8-2