COSTA MESA, Calif. -- Freshman Sheryl Bon closed out Azusa Pacific’s 5-4 win over Vanguard with an exclamation point, bouncing back from a tough defeat in a second-set tiebreaker for a dominant 6-0 win in the third set, giving the NAIA’s No. 5-ranked Cougars the victory over the No. 3-ranked Lions.
Bon’s 6-4, 6-7, 6-0 win at No. 4 singles over Damia Donkervoort was 1 of 2 points she earned for Azusa Pacific in a match featuring a tiebreaker. Bon and senior Bay Daniels teamed up for a 9-8 win over Donkervoort and Hana Jurcovicova at No. 1 doubles, giving the Cougars a 2-1 lead after doubles play. After forcing the 7-point tiebreaker by holding serve to tie the match at 8-8, Bon and Daniels played a flawless set for a 7-0 win to clinch what turned out to be the decisive point in the match.
Senior Kim Tran and junior Lindsey Cloninger posted an 8-5 win at No. 3 doubles for Azusa Pacific, and victories by both Tran and Cloninger in singles helped knot the match at 4-4 late in Bon’s second set. Tran posted a 6-2, 6-1 win over Anna Valingsten at No. 5 singles, and Cloninger was a 6-0, 6-4 winner over Olivia Amstad at No. 6.
With the win, Azusa Pacific’s first on the road over Vanguard since 2002, the Cougars improve to 15-2 overall, 7-1 GSAC, clinching at least a second-place tie in the conference standings with 1 GSAC opponent left on the schedule. Vanguard drops to 16-3 overall, 5-2 GSAC. Azusa Pacific hosts Hawaii Pacific on Tuesday, April 8, then visits NCAA Division I University of Hawaii on Thursday, April 10, before wrapping up the regular season with its GSAC finale, an April 14 home date with The Master’s.
Azusa Pacific 5, Vanguard 4
1. Hana Jurcovicova (VU) def. Bay Daniels (APU), 6-4, 6-1
2. Betty Tesfa (VU) def. Casey Wetzig (APU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Jelena Jovic (VU) def. Katy Jelsma (APU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Sheryl Bon (APU) def. Damia Donkervoort (VU), 6-4, 6-7, 6-0
5. Kim Tran (APU) def. Anna Valingsten (VU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Lindsey Cloninger (APU) def. Olivia Amstad (VU), 6-0, 6-4
1. Bon/Daniels (APU) def. Donkervoort/Jurcovicova (VU), 9-8
2. Jovic/Tesfa (VU) def. Jelsma/Wetzig (APU), 8-1
3. Cloninger/Tran (APU) def. Amstad/Valingsten (VU), 8-5