GLENDORA, Calif. -- Azusa Pacific seniors Bay Daniels and Kim Tran wrapped up their final collegiate regular season with an afternoon to remember, leading the NAIA’s No. 5-ranked Cougars to an 8-1 victory over The Master’s Monday afternoon at Citrus College. In addition to wrapping up the regular season, the Azusa Pacific win clinched the Cougars’ sixth GSAC runner-up finish in the past 8 seasons.
Tran had the signature win for the afternoon, blanking Jennifer Baughman at No. 4 singles, 6-0, 6-0, improving to 16-3 in singles play this season. She also partnered with sophomore Jessalyn Lau for an 8-1 No. 3 doubles win in the tandem’s first-ever doubles pairing.
Meanwhile, Daniels teamed up with freshman Sheryl Bon for an 8-3 win at No. 1 doubles, helping complete an Azusa Pacific doubles sweep while improving the pair to 16-2 on the year in doubles action. Daniels also notched a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Hannah Leake at No. 1 singles, her 40th singles win at either the No. 1 or 2 position during her 4-year Cougar career.
Other Azusa Pacific singles winners, were freshman Casey Wetzig, junior Lindsey Cloninger and Lau, who all won in straight sets. Wetzig teamed up with junior Katy Jelsma for an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles to round out the Cougar victory.
With the win, Azusa Pacific finishes the regular season with a 16-4 overall record and clinches sole possession of a second-place GSAC finish with an 8-1 conference mark. The NAIA Region II Playoffs are up next on the schedule, with the 4-team, 2-day event beginning Thursday, May 1, in Fresno.
Azusa Pacific 8, The Master’s 1
1. Bay Daniels (APU) def. Hannah Leake (TMC), 6-2, 6-1
2. Casey Wetzig (APU) def. Rebekah Kolstad (TMC), 6-0, 6-2
3. Paula Higuchi (TMC) def. Katy Jelsma (APU), 6-4, 6-2
4. Kim Tran (APU) def. Jennifer Baughman (TMC), 6-0, 6-0
5. Lindsey Cloninger (APU) def. Christie Baughman (TMC), 6-1, 7-5
6. Jessalyn Lau (APU) def. Amy Trae (TMC), 6-1, 6-0
1. Bon/Daniels (APU) def. Kolstad/Leake (TMC), 8-3
2. Jelsma/Wetzig (APU) def. J. Baughman/Higuchi (TMC), 8-2
3. Lau/Tran (APU) def. C. Baughman/Trae (TMC), 8-1