At a Glance
Average completion time
Cost per unit
*Base Cost (cost per unit x program units) is provided to aid in program comparison only.
All stated financial information is subject to change. View additional tuition information.
Master’s in Athletic Training
Become an athletic trainer! The Master’s in Athletic Training, which welcomed its first class in summer 2015, is a full-time residency program that prepares students for successful completion of the national Board of Certification, Inc. (BOC) examination and for careers in athletic training.
Multiple clinical experiences provide students with practical learning designed to strengthen professional preparation and career placement. A Christian worldview is woven throughout the program, giving students a Christ-centered perspective of this service profession.
- Complete the program in two years.
- Study under expert faculty-mentors who are active professionals, and benefit from a university with an established history of athletic training education.
- Participate in clinical rotations in a diversity of professional settings such as on-campus varsity athletics, high schools, colleges, professional sports, physician offices, and rehabilitative clinics.
- Learn more about the Christian worldview, which is incorporated throughout the curriculum, and its applications to athletic training.
- Join a research team as a second-year student and gain firsthand experience conducting research to further knowledge and contribute to the athletic training profession.
National Certification Exam and BOC Pass Rates
The national certification examination for entry-level athletic trainers (ATs) is administered numerous times during the year by the Board of Certification, Inc. (BOC). The BOC establishes and regularly reviews both the standards for the practice of athletic training and the continuing education requirements for BOC-certified ATs. The BOC has the only accredited certification program for ATs in the U.S. Additional information regarding the BOC and the certification examination can be found at bocatc.org.
Throughout the history of APU’s athletic training program, students have successfully achieved a three-year-aggregate first-time pass rate of 70% or higher on the BOC examination as required by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). The following table shows results for APU candidates over the last three BOC exam years. This data is available publicly in compliance with accreditation standards as required by CAATE.
|Year||Number of Graduates||Number of Graduates Taking BOC Exam||Number and Percent of Graduates Passing (First Attempt)||Number and Percent of Graduates Passing (Regardless of Attempts)|
|2014-15||12||12||9 (75%)||10 (83%)|
|2013-14||6||6||4 (67%)||6 (100%)|
|2012-13||4||4||3 (75%)||3 (75%)|
|3-Year Aggregate||22||22||16 (73%)*||19 (86%)|
*Programs must meet or exceed a three-year aggregate of 70 percent first-time pass rate on the BOC exam as required by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE, caate.net).