At a Glance
Average completion time
Cost per unit
*Base Cost (cost per unit x program units) is provided to aid in program comparison only.
All stated financial information is subject to change. View additional tuition information.
Become a Practitioner-Scholar
The Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) in Clinical Psychology with an emphasis in Family Psychology is a professional doctorate. The Psy.D. is becoming the recognized degree in psychology for practitioners. The Psy.D. retains a commitment to provision of a comprehensive education in psychological science as the foundation for any training in psychology, yet emphasizes the service orientation of a clinical degree in which training and supervision comprise a substantial part of the curriculum. The Psy.D. at Azusa Pacific University is identified as a practitioner-scholar program. The intent is that APU graduates actively apply the science of psychology to the practice of psychology.
The Psy.D. curriculum provides the courses and training necessary to meet the educational requirements in the state of California for licensure as a psychologist.
Meet the Faculty
Samuel Girguis, Psy.D., is director of the Doctor of Psychology program and an assistant professor in the Department of Graduate Psychology.
Get to know our program faculty.
Psy.D. Program Highlights
- A solid academic curriculum that prepares students for California psychology licensure examinations and clinical practice
- An emphasis on Family Psychology, the discipline that considers individual, interpersonal, and environmental factors which impact human behavior
- An academic schedule that allows students to continue working in Southern California while they pursue their doctorate
- A Christian values orientation that informs the practice of psychology and courses that provide a structure for the integration of ethics, theology, and psychology
- Faculty who maintain active careers in the profession and bring their experience to the classroom
- Two entry pathways: one for students who already have an existing master’s degree in psychology or a closely related discipline; another for students entering directly from the bachelor’s degree or with a master’s degree in a discipline other than psychology
Learn more about the program.
To find out more about APU’s graduate psychology programs, download the Graduate Psychology Brochure (PDF).
Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data
The Guidelines and Principles for Accreditation of Programs in Professional Psychology (G&P) require that doctoral graduate programs provide potential students, current students, and the public with accurate information on the program and on program expectations. This information is meant to describe the program accurately and completely, using the most up-to-date data on education and training outcomes, and be presented in a manner that allows applicants to make informed decisions about entering the program. View our Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data (PDF).
Azusa Pacific University values the importance of developing programs of distinction and academic integrity. This attention to excellence has earned the school notable accreditations. The university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), while the doctoral program in psychology is accredited by the Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation of the American Psychological Association (APA), 750 1st Street, NE, Washington, DC, 20002 / phone: (202) 336-5979 / email: email@example.com. When you graduate from APU’s psychology program, you embark on your career with the assurance that you are well equipped to function in the education and behavioral studies arena and are a valued asset to the organization you serve.
Azusa Pacific University secured a place in the most prestigious category of U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges 2016 rankings, placing in Tier One at No. 175 in the National Universities category. In addition, The Princeton Review named APU as 1 of 124 institutions in the 2016 Best Colleges in the West, and G.I. Jobs named APU a Military Friendly School for 2016, placing APU among the top 15 percent of schools in the country helping military students reach their educational dreams.