Any student interested in social work is encouraged to speak with a faculty advisor in the BSW program for more information about the major. Students who wish to major in social work should declare social work interest as their intended major as soon as possible through One Stop; Undergraduate Enrollment Services Center in order to begin academic and professional planning. Upon declaring social work interest as a major, students are assigned a faculty advisor who works with them for the duration of their studies (upon full admission to the program, students will be switched from social work interest to social work by One Stop; Registrar). Advisors will be assigned by the program, based on availability of faculty. The role of the faculty advisor is to help students develop a multi-year academic plan, mentor them in their professional development, and be their liaison during the admissions process. While the faculty advisor is the primary contact person within the program, students are encouraged to also meet with other faculty as needed as part of their professional development. Prior to registration each semester, the BSW program requires students to meet with their advisor.


  1. Schedule an appointment, if necessary, to discuss social work as a choice of major.
  2. Declare “Social Work Interest” through One Stop; Undergraduate Enrollment Services Center.
  3. Visit the BSW program to receive advisor assignment and BSW Student Handbook.
  4. Read the BSW Student Handbook in its entirety.
  5. Meet with advisor to develop multi-year academic plan and confirm choice of major.
  6. Meet with advisor for academic advising prior to registration each semester.
  7. Attend advising meeting with a completed plan of proposed courses..

Note: Advisors assist in planning, but students are responsible to come prepared for advising and be knowledgeable regarding university requirements.

Note: This information is current for the 2016-17 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.