Independent contractors are those individuals who do not meet the qualifications of an employee, but who provide a service to the university. These include individuals like a guest speaker, performer, clerical worker, or a consultant. Individuals must meet the requirements of the status test (see below in forms). Please review the Independent Contractors Basics and the Hiring of Nonresidents below for instructions. Nonresident status applies to nonresidents of California and/or the U.S.A. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CA Form 587: Nonresident Withholding Allocation Worksheet (PDF)
- CA Form 590: Withholding Exemption Certificate (PDF)
- Form 8233 Instructions (PDF)
- Form 8233: Exemption From Withholding on Compensation for Independent (and Certain Dependent) Personal Services of a Nonresident (PDF)
- Form W-7 Instructions (PDF)
- Form W-7: Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (PDF)
- Form W-8BEN Instructions (PDF)
- Form W-8BEN: Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding (PDF)
- Form W-9: Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification (PDF)
- Hiring of Non-Residents of California and the United States of America as Employees or Independent Contractors (PDF)
- Independent Contractor 1099 Status Test (PDF)
- Independent Contractors Basics (MS Word)
- Notification of Withholding on Payments to California Nonresidents (MS Word)
- Statement of Citizenship and Federal Tax Status (PDF)
- Supplemental Services Agreement (All) (Excel) For information or questions regarding this form, please contact Human Resources at Ext. 4526.