Purchasing at Azusa Pacific University is of a decentralized nature, with each department requestor collaborating with the Business Office to ensure that proper procurement of goods and services is carried out in a timely and cost-effective manner, while operating at the highest standards of ethical conduct, in order to achieve the academic, research, and service objectives of the university. APU’s Purchasing Policy and Procedures (PDF) applies to all budget managers and staff authorized to procure goods and services.
Business Operations is responsible for the PeopleSoft eProcurement module, the training of users, the distribution of purchase orders to departments, and for adhering to its role as outlined in APU’s Purchasing Policy.
Steps to become a PeopleSoft ePro User:
What to Know Before Entering in a Purchase Requisition
- Employee must have access to the PeopleSoft Finance Module to enter a purchase requisition.
- Please use the Firefox or Chrome browser when using PeopleSoft.
- Purchase requisition turnaround time is 3-5 days once all needed information is entered and department budget manager approved in PeopleSoft.
- In PeopleSoft, a “vendor” is referred to as a “supplier.”
- A purchase requisition should not be entered for items that you have received and have been billed for from the supplier.
- A purchase requisition is for product that you are ordering from a supplier. You should have an estimate/quote or price of the item or items before you are entering in the purchase requisition.
- When entering a purchase requisition, it is one purchase requisition per supplier per order.
- When entering a purchase requisition, use all capital letters.
- All contracts or agreements with a supplier shall be submitted to Accounts Payable by the requesting department. A quote or estimate is also beneficial for Accounts Payable to have on file.
- Once the purchase requisition has been completed, a purchase order is printed for your use. You may then call the supplier and place the order. Provide the supplier the 10-digit purchase order number so it may be included on the invoice.
- Note that a purchase order is a legal binding contract between APU and the supplier, and both front and back of the purchase order should be sent to the supplier if requested via scan to email, fax, or snail mail.
- Once you receive the invoice from the supplier, confirm that the invoice is correct and the purchase order number is listed. Forward the invoice for payment with an authorized signature and date to Accounts Payable in the Business Office.
- Supplier will be paid in the method and terms indicated on the Supplier Information/Substitute W-9 Form that was completed when being added as a supplier in PeopleSoft.
- Purchase orders are valid only within the current fiscal year.
Helpful Tools to Use
- If you need assistance with what is considered a valid business description for a purchase order, see the Purchase Requisition Common Descriptions (PDF).
- To track the date entered, supplier name, purchase requisition number, purchase order number, and whether the purchase order has been received, use the Purchase Requisition Tracking Form (MS Word).
Steps to Entering a Purchase Requisition in PeopleSoft 9.2
In order to complete a purchase requisition, you must:
- Create a purchase requisition.
- Enter in lines by using Special Item for taxable items OR Fixed Cost for nontaxable items.
- Complete the request by Check Out—Review and Submit your Purchase Requisition.
Use the following training videos for online instruction on how to complete each task:
- Create a Purchase Requisition
- Special Item—Entering Line(s) Which are Taxable
- Fixed Cost—Entering Line(s) Which are Not Taxable
- Check Out—Review and Submit your Purchase Requisition
- How to Split Cost/Chartfields Accounting Lines on a Purchase Requisition
For more information about these forms or to request additional training, contact us at email@example.com.
APU’s official office supply vendor is Office Depot. If you do not have a user ID set up with Office Depot, contact the Business Office to request a user ID at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Central Purchasing Units as Assigned by the University
Contact the following for items that must be handled through a central effort:
- Computer Equipment or Software: Computer Store, Ext. 5001
- Furniture: Jo Ann Bengel, Ext. 5003
- Paper: Central Receiving and Supply, Ext. 5001
- Telephones: IMT Support Desk, Ext. 5050
Azusa Pacific University’s travel and business expense guidelines and procedures are designed to assist our employees in obtaining prompt reimbursement for their travel and business expenses, and in exercising accountable stewardship for the university resources entrusted to their care. Review APU’s Travel and Business Expense Policy (PDF) for more-detailed information.