Policies for All Programs

The following are policies that apply to all majors and minors offered by the department:

  • Students must maintain at least a C- grade in each required science and math courses, and a cumulative GPA of 2.0 in courses required for the major.
  • Students must complete all prerequisites for a course, with a C- or better, before taking the course.
  • All majors are required to take the BIOL 496 Senior Seminar: Ethics and the Sciences to meet their General Education Senior Seminar course requirement.
  • While courses required of the major may be taken at other accredited institutions, both lecture and laboratory components must be taken at the same institution in the same semester.
  • Students missing more than three labs per course in a semester receive an automatic F in the course.
  • It is strongly recommended that freshmen in all biology majors (including biochemistry) take General Chemistry and General Biology the first year and that chemistry majors start with General Chemistry and Calculus the first year. Should the math competency placement exam require Algebra of the student, then that class should be taken the first year and a five-year program may be indicated.
  • BIOL 151 should be taken by allied health, biochemistry, or biology majors who receive AP biology credit. Many medical schools and graduate programs will not accept AP Biology to meet requirements for admission. AP credit for BIOL 151 will only be given with approval of the chair of the Department of Biology and Chemistry.

Regarding upper-division electives required for each major:

  • At least one three- or four-unit course must be taken.
  • No more than two one-unit courses may be taken for elective credit.
  • Students may take up to three units of research, readings, or internship for elective credit in the major.
  • BIOL 470 Science for the MCAT, BIOL 325 Humans and the Environment, BIOL 330 Gender Differences, and BIOL 400 Science and Children may not be taken to meet upper-division elective requirements in the major.

Students may petition for exemptions by submitting the Department of Biology and Chemistry Student Petition form to the department chair.

Note: This information is current for the 2016-17 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.