• Formal approval from a sending agency or a contract with an educational institution overseas acknowledging the applicant’s participation in the program.
  • Within 10 years prior to enrollment or before graduation, native speakers of English must complete a minimum of six semester units (approximately 150 hours) of college-level foreign language with a grade of B or better, or its equivalent. Equivalency options may include: foreign language tutorials, formal classroom instruction, or language learning while residing abroad, and successful completion of a rated oral interview in the target language. For nonnative speakers of English, a score of 600 or above on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is needed.

Admission Requirements – Domestic Applicants

The university graduate and program admission requirements below must be met before an application is considered complete.

International students have a separate application procedure that precedes the standard admission process. View international requirements below or contact the International Center at +1-626-812-3055 or by email.

Applicants must possess:

  • A bachelor’s degree
    A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university is required. (Applicants for the TESOL programs are not required to have undergraduate majors in fields such as English, linguistics, or education; however a strong background in one of these is recommended.)
  • A minimum 3.0 GPA
    A 3.0 baccalaureate or master’s grade-point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale is required. [Applicants with a GPA between 2.5-2.99 may be considered for provisional admission.]
  • A TOEFL score of 600 or above (nonnative speakers only)
    Nonnative speakers of English must score 600 or above on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), at least 250 on the computer-based TOEFL or 100 on the IBT, and must pass a test of written English. Applicants who score between 550 and 600 (213-249 on the computer-based TOEFL; 79-99 on the IBT) may be granted conditional admission, but will be required to complete TESL 500 English for Internationals (3 units) during their first semester of graduate work.

Applicants must submit:

  • A Graduate Application (Apply Online | Download PDF)
    Use the following program code when applying: TESL02
  • $45 nonrefundable application fee
  • Official transcripts (Download PDF)
    Request that official transcripts be sent to APU’s Graduate and Professional Center for all degrees, certificates, and credentials earned prior to application to APU. Learn more about APU’s domestic applicant transcript policy.
  • A statement of purpose
    Submit a written statement describing educational and professional goals, including reasons for studying TESOL at APU.
  • A résumé or statement of experience (Download PDF)
  • Three letters of recommendation (Download PDF)
    At least one recommendation should be from a professor or teacher acquainted with the applicant’s academic work.
  • TOEFL scores (nonnative speakers only)
    For nonnative speakers of English: Request official TOEFL scores to be sent directly to Azusa Pacific University

All materials should be sent to:
Graduate and Professional Center: Admissions
Azusa Pacific University
PO Box 7000
Azusa, CA 91702-7000
Fax: (626) 815-4545

What to Expect

Once all admission materials have been received by the appropriate office, the Graduate Admissions and TESOL faculty review the applicant’s file. The applicant is then notified of the committee’s decision.

Admission Requirements—International Applicants

Azusa Pacific University is authorized under federal law by the U.S. CIS and the U.S. Department of State to enroll nonimmigrant, alien undergraduate and graduate students. APU issues and administers both the I-20 and DS 2019 (F-1 and J-1 status documents respectively).

To apply for a graduate program at APU, the following requirements must be fulfilled in addition to meeting the domestic applicant and program-specific admission requirements specified by the program.

International applicants must:

  • Meet all standard admission requirements
    International applicants must fulfill the domestic applicant and program-specific admission requirements in addition to meeting the following criteria.
  • Demonstrate proficiency in English
    Applicants should refer to APU’s English Proficiency Requirements to learn more. Applicants who do not meet this requirement may seek conditional admission to the university by enrolling in the APU American Language and Cultural Institute (ALCI) to gain English proficiency. (Some programs allow for other ways to demonstrate proficiency while others do not accept conditional admission through ALCI; please check with an international enrollment advisor for further details.)

International applicants must also submit:

  • An International Graduate Application
    (Apply Online | Download PDF)
    Note: This application should be used instead of the domestic graduate application.
  • A $65 (U.S.) nonrefundable application fee
    Note: This fee is submitted in place of the $45 nonrefundable application fee for domestic applicants.
  • Official transcripts
    Request that official transcripts be sent to APU’s International Center for all degrees, certificates, and credentials earned prior to application to APU. Read more about APU’s requirements for international applicants.
  • Proof of English Proficiency
    Request that official TOEFL/IELTS test scores be sent directly to APU. Any other forms of proof indicated in the university’s English Proficiency Requirements must be submitted directly to the International Center. Applicants applying for conditional admission through ALCI must submit an ALCI application (PDF).
  • An affidavit of financial support and a bank statement
    International applicants must provide an affidavit of support and a bank statement proving financial ability to pay for educational costs through personal, family, or sponsor resources.
  • A copy of a valid passport.
  • A résumé showing work experience
    International applicants must submit a current résumé or curriculum vitae (CV) that demonstrates recent work experience.
  • Three recommendations
    Two from academic and/or professional sources, and one from a personal source (no family members). All recommendations must use the APU Graduate Recommendation Form (PDF).

Submit all materials to:

International Center
Azusa Pacific University
901 E. Alosta Ave.
PO Box 7000
Azusa, CA 91702-7000
Fax: +1-626-815-3801
Email IC

What to Expect

After the International Center receives all admission materials, a committee of department faculty review the applicant’s file. The applicant is then notified of the committee’s decision.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the deadlines for admission to APU?
APU has rolling admissions, but at least one month is needed to process the information. It is best to start the application process as soon as possible to guarantee a place. Graduate applications can be mailed, faxed, or downloaded above.

What if teachers have not completed the foreign language prerequisite?
Teachers who have not met the foreign language prerequisite can complete a corequisite through an equivalency option in which they engage in foreign language tutorials, formal classroom instruction, or some kind of intentional, community-based language learning while residing abroad. Teachers demonstrate equivalency by passing an oral proficiency interview usually given the last summer at APU or by documenting the equivalent of 6 semester units, which would be 240 hours of instruction, including out-of-class work.

Does APU help place teachers in universities overseas and assist them in obtaining visas?
No. APU handles only the academic program. It is suggested that teachers who have not taught abroad before consider going through a sending agency.

Are there any other requirements?
Yes. Teachers must have secured a teaching contract in an educational institution abroad.

Note: This information is current for the 2014-15 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.