At a Glance
Cost per unit
*Base Cost (cost per unit x program units) is provided to aid in program comparison only.
All stated financial information is subject to change. View additional tuition information.
The growth of the use of the English language worldwide has been remarkable, presenting English teachers with unprecedented opportunities for intercultural service.
- In the last 50 years, English has rapidly become a global language, particularly for international politics, business, transportation, science and technology, the media, and higher education.
- Although English is the principal mother tongue in less than a dozen nations, it has significant or official status as a means of communication in more than 70 countries. Nearly a quarter of the world's population, more than 1.2 billion people, are already at least reasonably competent in English. This surpasses the spread of any other language in history.*
- English is now taught as a foreign language in more than 100 countries, making it the most widely taught foreign language in the world. In most of these countries, it is becoming the primary foreign language in the educational system.* Consequently, almost every nation in the world is demanding competent English teachers to help develop their professional labor force.
- Those who hold master's degrees in TESOL are among the most sought-after professionals in the world today. TESOL instruction represents an extraordinary opportunity for a meaningful career in education, both at home and abroad. As a field of practice, TESOL is unparalleled in its ability to provide:
- A natural platform for cultivating intercultural relationships.
- Opportunities for initiating self-supporting business ventures.
* David Crystal. English as a Global Language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997.
Why Study TESOL at APU?
- APU's TESOL programs combine an orientation toward compassionate Christian service with strong academic preparation and practical preparation for language teaching.
- The programs represent a blend of coursework and practical experiences which equip graduates to respond to the wide range of language needs, sociocultural differences, and program requirements they will encounter.
- Qualified faculty share their professional and cross-cultural experiences while adapting coursework to the unique needs and interest of students.
- APU is located in the greater Los Angeles area, where more than 150 languages are spoken. This diverse linguistic and cultural environment offers students an unmatched variety of multicultural practice-teaching and research opportunities.
- Graduates of APU's TESOL and TEFL certification program are currently serving both internationally and in the U.S. — in public schools, colleges and universities, private institutes, and businesses. Others have gone on to complete doctoral work in such fields as applied linguistics, international education, or intercultural studies.