Azusa Pacific University’s cinematic arts major is a comprehensive program that teaches the art and business of screenwriting and critical studies from a story-centered point of view. Students are immersed in hands-on filmmaking with state-of-the-art equipment and first-rate instruction. Beyond simply learning how to use the tools of the trade, students are also challenged to thoughtfully consider how art and culture impact one another and what role the Christian artist plays in the process. All of this occurs in the vibrant cinematic arts community of Southern California which features superior access to industry professionals and resources.
All cinematic arts students follow a core of classes that provides a broad understanding of the film and television industry. This multi-faceted approach teaches students the basics of story, character, and production while also providing a solid critical understanding of the industry from both an historical and business perspective.
In addition, students choose from one of two tracks of study designed to give them a deeper understanding of the cinematic arts from a unique perspective. Advanced courses in screenwriting or critical studies focus students on the area that will best help them achieve their career goals.
- Study the arts and entertainment industry at a campus located just 25 miles from Hollywood with access to “A list” internships and resources.
- Develop a critical, creative, and spiritually aware outlook.
- Practice artistic excellence in storytelling and technique.
- Be part of an active student filmmaking community through Azusa Film Society.
- Build a professional and personal network of like-minded creative individuals that will transition to the local arts and entertainment industry.
Is This Major Right for You?
You’re a cinematic arts major if you:
- Have a passion for storytelling.
- Are interested in exploring the interaction of faith, culture, and the arts.
- Want to learn how movies are made.
- Like to work with new technology.
- Like making ideas into reality.
- Work well as part of a team.
Student Production Resources
Current APU cinematic arts students can find more information about the major and useful production resources at the Student Production Resources website.