APU’s music major (B.M.) equips musicians to take their art to the next level. The degree is tailored to students desiring a career in performance, music ministry, private teaching (pedagogy), the Christian and secular commercial music industry, professional composing, or to pursue advanced degrees.
Students choose an emphasis for in-depth study in composition, commercial music, music and worship, or performance. Courses in theory, music history, literature, and conducting give the student a thorough preparation in comprehensive musicianship. Bachelor of Music majors also participate in musical ensembles, attend and perform in recitals, and take voice and piano classes, providing extensive, diverse musical experiences. Music majors (B.M.) leave APU with the artistic and practical preparation they need to start a musical career.
Is This Major Right for You?
You’re a music major (B.M.) if you:
- Are diligent and willing to put in extensive time and effort to hone your talent into skill.
- Enjoy the creative process, including writing and arranging music.
- Visualize a career performing in a professional orchestra or vocal ensemble.
- Want to teach the art of music privately or at the college level.
- Plan to pursue an advanced degree in music.
- Seek thorough preparation in comprehensive musicianship.
- Dream of being part of the commercial music industry.
“The professors in the School of Music provided a safe yet challenging environment where I was able to grow both as a musician and as a Christian.”