APU’s music major prepares students to turn musical talent into a career. The music degree provides a solid foundation in music theory, practical musicianship, music technology, sight singing, and dictation. These then provide a framework for advanced study in music history, choral and instrumental conducting, commercial music, and music literature. Students choose an emphasis for in-depth study in applied music (performance), music education, or music theory.
Music majors also participate in musical ensembles, attend and perform in recitals, and take voice and piano classes, providing extensive, diverse musical experiences. Music majors leave APU ready to apply advanced musical knowledge to a career in music.
Is This Major Right for You?
You’re a music major if you:
- Love music in all of its forms.
- Want to share your passion for music with others.
- Enjoy the creative process.
- Have talent and skill in writing, arranging, or performing music.
- May have the desire to teach music at the K–12 level.
- Seek a well-rounded, balanced musical foundation.
“The professors in the School of Music provided a safe yet challenging environment where I was able to grow both as a musician and as a Christian.”