Skip to Content
Apply Request


Course Requirements

EDL 580
Leadership Induction
EDL 581
Research and Leadership
EDL 582
Cornerstones of Educational Leadership*
EDL 583
Educational Leadership and Change
EDL 584
Policy and Politics of Educational Leadership
EDL 585
Leadership in a Legal Culture
EDL 586
Leadership Performance Assessment
EDUC 514
Digital Video in the Classroom
EDUC 515
Evolving Educational Technologies
EDUC 522
Learning in the 21st Century
Total45 units

*EDL 582 is not required for candidates with a master’s degree in education.


All School of Education degree, credential, and non-degree candidates must register for and establish an electronic portfolio account through TaskStream for the duration of their studies. The candidate’s electronic portfolio will be contributed to throughout the program of study and will include the course signature assignments and other key assessments as required by the candidate’s degree or credential program. The signature assignments are critical to program improvement efforts and to the School of Education’s continuing accreditation. A candidate’s final course grade for courses with a signature assignment cannot be submitted until all necessary assessments have been uploaded to TaskStream. Successful evaluation of the electronic portfolio is required for degree completion and/or recommendation for a credential to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).

Frequently Asked Questions

How many units do I take each term?
Students may take no more than 6 units per term.

How long is a term?
Each term is 9–10 weeks long. Five terms are offered each year.

How many evenings per week do I attend classes?
Students meet one night a week throughout the course of the term.

How many hours does each class session require?
Each class requires that students meet for approximately 4 hours.

Is a California Teaching Credential (CTC) required?
Yes, a CTC is required if you are pursuing a Tier 1 credential.

How many units can I transfer?
Appropriate transfer work may be accepted toward a master’s degree. Transfer units may not exceed 20 percent of the units required for the master’s degree. Contact your program representative or the Office of the Graduate Registrar for more information.

Note: This information is current for the 2013–14 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.