At a Glance
Average completion time
Cost per unit
*Base Cost (cost per unit x program units) is provided to aid in program comparison only.
All stated financial information is subject to change. View additional tuition information.
International Applicant Requirements
- Twelve semester units of undergraduate or graduate coursework in education
- For each year of verified full-time teaching, three units of prerequisites may be waived.
Azusa Pacific University is authorized under federal law by the U.S. CIS and the U.S. Department of State to enroll nonimmigrant, alien undergraduate and graduate students. APU issues and administers both the I-20 and DS 2019 (F-1 and J-1 status documents respectively).
To apply for a graduate program at APU, the following requirements must be fulfilled in addition to meeting the domestic applicant and program-specific admission requirements specified by the program.
International applicants must:
- Meet all standard admission requirements above
International applicants must fulfill the domestic applicant and program-specific admission requirements specified above in addition to meeting the following criteria.
- Demonstrate proficiency in English
Proficiency is evidenced by a TOEFL/IELTS score which meets program-specific requirements. Applicants should refer to APU's English Proficiency Requirements to learn more. Applicants who do not meet this requirement may seek conditional admission to the university by enrolling in the APU American Language and Cultural Institute [ALCI] to gain English proficiency. (Some programs allow for other ways to demonstrate proficiency while others do not accept conditional admission through ALCI; please check with an international enrollment advisor for further details.)
International applicants must also submit:
- An International Graduate Application
(Apply Online | Download PDF)
Note: This application should be used instead of the domestic graduate application.
- A $65 (U.S.) nonrefundable application fee
Note: This fee is submitted in place of the $45 nonrefundable application fee for domestic applicants.
- Official transcripts
Request that official transcripts be sent to APU's International Center for all degrees, certificates, and credentials earned prior to application to APU. Read more about APU's international applicant transcript policy.
- Official TOEFL/IELTS score report (if applicable)
Request that official TOEFL/IELTS test scores be sent directly from the academic institution to APU. Applicants applying for conditional admission through ALCI must submit an American Language and Culture Institute (ALCI) Application (PDF). For more information, read our English Proficiency Requirements for Graduate and Doctoral Programs.
- An affidavit of financial support and a bank statement
International applicants must provide an affidavit of support and a bank statement proving financial ability to pay for educational costs through personal, family, or sponsor resources.
- A recent photo
International applicants must submit one recent photo of themselves.
- A résumé showing work experience
International applicants must submit a current résumé or curriculum vitae (CV) that demonstrates recent work experience.
- Three recommendations: two from academic and/or professional sources, and one from a personal source (no family members). All recommendations must use the APU Graduate Recommendation Form (PDF).
Essays (international master's degree applicants only)
International applicants must submit a typewritten essay addressing the following questions:
- How do you hope to benefit from an academic experience in America?
- Describe your current religious or philosophical beliefs.
- Explain why you would be a good candidate to study at APU, including any leadership roles you have experienced.
Submit all materials to:
Azusa Pacific University
901 E. Alosta Ave.
PO Box 7000
Azusa, CA 91702-7000
What to Expect
After the International Center receives all admission materials, the department reviews the applicant’s file. The student is notified of the committee’s decision within approximately two weeks.