Azusa Pacific University’s Clear Credential Induction program comprises 12 units offered as four nine-week practicum courses completed in the participating teacher’s own classroom or through fieldwork. Candidates earn this credential in four, separate nine-week terms.
This teaching refresher focuses on the complexity of teaching and learning in California classrooms, and is tailored to meet the needs of individual teachers, providing opportunities to review teaching practices, gain expert feedback, and refresh their approach to the classroom.
- Track A is for noncontracted teaching jobs.
- Track B is for contracted teaching jobs.
Required Induction Program Courses
EDUC 600Practicum Instructional Planning and Classroom Management
EDUC 601Practicum Assessment and Diagnostic Instruction
EDUC 602Practicum Teaching Special Populations
EDUC 603Practicum Using Community Resources to Reduce the Achievement Gap
- Track C is for clearing both a general education and a special education credential.
Candidates can clear both credentials concurrently from a menu of options that requires an Individual Induction Plan (IIP).
Development and Administration of the Individual Induction Plan (IIP)
The Individual Induction Plan (IIP) is developed in consultation with the candidate, employer (optional), and APU academic advisor. The IIP identifies and addresses individual candidate needs, college or university requirements, consultations and other activities with a district-assigned service provider, APU advisor, and assessment of the plan’s completion.
Consultations will be provided with an assigned service provider from the candidate’s district, or an APU advisor to be established during the IIP process, who will meet periodically with the candidate.
A verified successful completion of a minimum of two years of teaching experience in a full-time special education position or the equivalent (verified by Form CL-41 EXP, signed by the district’s director of human resources) in a public school or private school equivalent status while holding the Level I or Preliminary Mild/Moderate or Moderate/Severe Credential is optional. An unemployed candidate will work with an APU advisor to develop an appropriate plan to be approved by the university’s IIP Review Team.
Individual Induction Plan: Menu of Options
The clear induction process requires that the candidate complete a minimum of 3 units selected from the menu of options, and the CTC requires 180 hours of professional development. The 180 hours may consist of either coursework (up to 12 units), professional development, or a combination of coursework plus professional activities (Note: 3 units = 45 hours). The IIP may include other professional development activities sponsored by organizations other than APU. Completion of approved non-university activities may be included in the Clear Induction IIP. BTSA can account for 20 hours of professional development.
NOTE: Candidates may not begin Clear Induction coursework until the above steps are completed and the admission requirements are met. Level I candidates who opt for the Clear Credential must complete the following requirements:
- Technology Class – CTC-approved list
- Health Class – CTC-approved list
- CPR (infant, child, adult)
Complete the core courses plus other experiences as defined below:
Areas of Emphasis
Candidates for the Clear Credential choose one area of emphasis in which to complete their clear credential coursework.
- Graduate Application for Admission (Apply Online | Download PDF)
- $45 nonrefundable application fee
- Request that official transcripts be sent to APU’s Graduate and Professional Center for all degrees, certificates, and credentials earned prior to application to APU.
- Submit a copy of the candidate’s SB 2042 Preliminary Credential.
- Three letters of recommendation (Download PDF) Submitted by principals or district administrators who have current knowledge of the applicant’s academic ability and potential for service in school administration.
Graduate Program Codes (PDF)
Additional Requirements for Track A (non-contracted teacher)
- Take practicum courses by volunteering in a classroom to complete observation hours.
Additional Requirements for Track B (contracted teacher)
- Provide a copy of the candidate’s official job offer or contract.
- Submit a letter from the candidate’s school principal on school letterhead describing the candidate’s teaching assignment.
- Take practicum courses in your own classroom.
Additional Requirements for Track C (clearing general education and special education credential)
- For special education, provide a copy of the candidate’s Education Specialist Credential.
All classes are offered online. During the program, credential candidates are required to attend two campus meetings: an orientation at the beginning of the Clear Credential Induction program and a colloquium at the end. Candidates may enter the program during either the Fall I or Spring I session. For more information about the Clear Credential Induction program, contact: