Skip to Content
Apply Request


William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program

Any student who wishes to apply for federal loans must complete:

  1. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for every school year enrolled.
  2. All admission requirements for their program.
  3. Online Direct Loan Entrance Counseling at To complete you will need:
    • 20–30 minutes
    • Your Federal Student Aid PIN (If you do not have a Federal Student Aid PIN, please visit
  4. Online Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) at To complete you will need:
    • Your Federal Student Aid PIN
    • Two references (addresses and phone numbers)
    • A few minutes to complete the MPN in a single session

Students are eligible to apply for the following loans:

Annual loan limits

Dependent students completing a bachelor’s degree are eligible, depending on their FAFSA information, to receive:

Independent students (or dependent students who were denied Parent PLUS loan) completing a bachelor’s degree are eligible, depending on their FAFSA information, to receive:

Students completing a master’s degree are eligible, depending on their FAFSA information, to receive:

Continue Eligibility

You must make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to continue receiving federal aid in addition to any academic requirements (refer to your programs handbook for academic requirements). Please refer to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for further information.

Interest and Fees

If you receive a federal student loan, you will be required to repay that loan with interest. It is important that you understand how interest is calculated and the fees associated with your loan. Both of these factors will impact the amount you will be required to repay.

Please visit to learn more about interest rates and fees.


Repayment begins six (6) months after you graduate, withdraw, or drop below half-time enrollment status. That six-month period is called your grace period. If you have previously used your grace period, your payments may begin immediately.

There are many repayment options available to student loan borrowers. If you find yourself in a situation where you are unable to make your student loan payments, there are also deferment and forbearance options available to you.

Please visit to learn how to best manage your student loans.

Federal Direct Loan Exit Counseling

The federal government requires all federal loan borrowers to complete the Direct Loan Exit Counseling at any point that the student graduates, withdraws, or drops below half-time enrollment status. Azusa Pacific University requires Direct Loan Exit Counseling be completed in order for your transcripts to be released. If you have any questions regarding the Direct Loan Exit Counseling please contact PES Student Financial Services at (626) 815-5300 or email us at

Information Needed to Begin Direct Loan Exit Counseling:

  1. Federal Student Aid PIN
  2. Social Security number
  3. Expected employer (if known)
  4. Next of kin (names, addresses, and phone numbers)
  5. Two (2) references who live in the United States (names, addresses, and phone numbers)
  6. Expected permanent address
  7. Driver’s license (if you have one)

Private (Alternative) Student Loans

APU uses a wide range of private lenders based upon their ability to provide good service to our students. Students may apply for a private student loan from a list of recommended lenders or feel free to choose another lender who provides education loans.

APU’s private lender list is without prejudice and is for the sole benefit of students attending the institution. Employees responsible for processing loans adhere to a strict student loan code of conduct.