The Office of Sponsored Research and Grants (OSRG) provides specific assistance to faculty and staff in the following areas: grant inquiries, grant preparation and submittal, grant resubmittals, OSRG-initiated grant efforts, grant resources at APU, and grants management and administration.
Detailed information on the services we provide for each of these areas is provided below:
- Faculty and staff submit grant ideas or concepts for externally funded programs, research, or equipment projects.
- OSRG helps to determine if funding is available from private foundations or government agencies.
- OSRG determines if ideas and concepts are consistent with APU’s mission and philosophy.
- If funding is available, OSRG reviews application guidelines and due dates, and contacts or meets with faculty, chair, and/or dean, as needed.
(Inquiry process flow chart available on Public Folders)
Grant Preparation and Submittal
- OSRG ensures that faculty and dean are aware of internal due dates and the need for faculty and dean (or chair) to sign the grant approval form upon completion of final proposal.
- OSRG assists faculty in finalizing budget, budget narrative, and evaluation sections. Assistance may be required for MOUs, partnership agreements, or subcontracts (if APU is not the lead agency).
- OSRG processes and coordinates APU internal approvals from those including university advancement, chief information officer, legal counsel, business office, associate provost, and OSRG itself.
- Approval from the Business Office may require OSRG to assist in clarifying with faculty and deans such issues as indirect costs, matching funds, or cost sharing requirements.
- OSRG prepares final proposals for submission. If working with a private foundation, it helps to obtain necessary APU administrative support letters and assembles required APU documents (e.g., annual reports, current non-profit documents, demographic information, brochures, and forms).
- OSRG prepares final proposals for grant submissions, including e-submissions through various federal agencies (grants.gov; eRA Commons, HRSA).
(External Grant Submittal flow chart available on Public Folders)
- Grant approvals and submission process for grant renewals or grant continuation projects follow the above grant preparation and submittal flow.
- OSRG assures that fiscal and program reports have been completed on time prior to grant resubmittals.
- OSRG encourages faculty, chairs, and deans to obtain reviewers’ comments from non-funded proposals and to prepare resubmittals after all issues and concerns have been addressed.
(External Grant Re-Submittal flow chart available on Public Folders)
OSRG-Initiated Grant Efforts
- OSRG identifies potential and time-limited funding sources for major government efforts including education, sciences, nursing, and the humanities.
- OSRG meets with regional centers, faculty groups, and deans to discuss and encourage grant applications.
- OSRG builds cooperative relationships with current or potential collaborative organizations, including local school districts, hospitals, non-profit organizations, and legislative offices (city, county, state, and federal).
- OSRG participates in review committees and attends grant funding bidders conferences and workshops.
- OSRG prepares certification applications for the animal science area and identifies potential funding for animal research projects (as part of OSRG’s involvement with the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)).
Grant Resources at APU
- APU subscribes to the Foundation Directory and Grantswire.
- Sample grant sections and/or templates are available for review.
- Links are available on such topics as grant writing tips, budget preparation, evaluation planning, and current private and public funding opportunities.
Grants Management and Administration
- OSRG provides specific faculty and other APU departmental requests for assistance on grant award issues (e.g. clarification on grant part-time or contract personnel, contract or budget negotiations, travel and insurance restrictions, and major equipment bid processes).
- OSRG assists the Business Office, faculty, and schools in preparing fiscal and program reports.
- OSRG is working with the Business Office and the Office of University Advancement to establish a Grants Management and Administration Office at APU (location to be determined).