Housing Assignments

Determination, Charges, Requests for Assignment, Notification, Oversubscription, Special Accommodation, and Check-in/Checkout


The Office of Housing Services is the sole and final determiner of campus housing assignments and can change any campus housing assignment at any time, approve or deny requests for changes to assignments, add/or remove roommates, and/or require moves to an alternate housing unit as necessary. Specific living areas and/or roommates may be requested, but are not guaranteed. Roommates requests will not be considered unless they are mutual and in writing (email is acceptable).


Housing charges are applied to student accounts. Students are responsible for payment of all housing charges per the terms of the university’s financial policies.

Requests for Assignment

Students must be admitted to the university before requesting a housing assignment. New students (freshmen and sophomores) are encouraged to apply as early as possible after being admitted to the university, but requests for housing assignments will be accepted anytime. New students should submit requests for housing assignment to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions along with the housing deposit. Questions on housing requests may be addressed to the Office of Housing Services, whereas questions on deadlines, deposits, and refunds should be directed to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Students may request specific roommates before assignments are made (typically June 1 for the fall semester and December 1 for the spring semester). Requests for specific roommates must be mutual and indicated in writing by all students involved to be considered. Students must request a campus housing assignment each new academic year. Continuing students generally obtain their housing assignments through the housing sign-ups process each spring. Details on the sign-ups process are released each spring and are subject to change from year to year. Continuing students who don’t participate in the sign-ups process may still submit requests any time after sign-ups close. Students wishing to enter campus housing for the spring semester may submit requests for housing assignment during the preceding fall semester. Students who participate in off-campus study programs (study abroad, High Sierra, L.A. Term, etc.) are encouraged to live in campus housing when they return. Housing Services provides a special process to apply for a campus housing assignment and coordinates with the offices who offer off-campus study programs.


Incoming and continuing students who receive an assignment will be sent an assignment letter by the first part of July in anticipation of the fall semester. Students who request housing for the spring semester will receive a letter over Christmas vacation. Students who submit late requests are usually notified of their assignments within 7–10 days. Assignments and roommate information will not be shared over the phone. Student contact information will be released to future roommates. Failure to accept an assigned roommate or attempts to force or pressure a roommate out of the housing unit may result in loss of housing assignment and disciplinary action.


“Oversubscription” is the term used when the occupancy of a one- or two-bedroom unit is three (“tripled”) or five (“quintupled”), respectively. Oversubscriptions are voluntary or involuntary as determined by the university based on the relationship between student enrollment and the number of campus housing units available. In seasons of voluntary oversubscriptions, students are provided affordability options and flexibility in roommate groups. When involuntary oversubscriptions are implemented to provide sufficient housing space, students assigned to triple and quintuple units receive a discount on housing charges as long as they remain assigned to that unit. Voluntary oversubscriptions receive a discount applied for the time actually spent in a triple or quintuple. The university is the sole determiner of housing assignments, unit occupancy, and changes to assignments.

Special Accommodation

Students requesting special campus housing accommodations due to a documented disability should contact the APU Learning Enrichment Center (LEC). New students are encouraged to contact the LEC by June 1 to avoid delays in receiving a fall semester housing assignment. Returning students are encouraged to contact the LEC by March 1 to be able to participate in the housing sign-ups process and obtain an appropriate assignment for the following year.

Check-in and Checkout

Students must check in and check out of campus housing by following these procedures. Students assigned to campus housing will be sent an assignment letter with specific instructions on checking in. Check-in for fall and spring typically takes place the weekend before the start of classes. Students who sign up for summer housing will typically move in to their summer housing units the Monday after spring commencement. Students required to come to campus early for athletics, music, drama, or other on-campus activities should contact their group leader for more information. After check-in, a Room Condition Inventory (RCI) should be completed and returned to the housing office by the student within seven days to identify any pre-existing damage to the assigned housing unit. The checkout deadline for fall is noon the Saturday of finals week. The checkout deadline for spring is 3 p.m. the Sunday after commencement. There are two ways to check out of a housing assignment: verified checkouts where an RA inspects with the student, and unverified checkouts where an RA inspects after the student leaves. Students are personally responsible for turning in keys issued to them. Keys are to be returned to the Office of Housing Services in Engstrom Hall. Students are responsible for leaving the unit and/or personal space clean and shutting down utilities where applicable.