As a resident in a campus apartment, you and your roommate(s) are responsible for hooking up and paying for your own utilities. This includes electricity, gas, telephone, and cable (if applicable) service. The university is not responsible for uncollected utilities charges. This arrangement is between you and your roommates only.
It is important that you contact your roommate(s) and decide who is going to be responsible to set up which utilities and receive the bills in their name. Also, you need to agree on how the utility bills will be paid. If any of you are going to be an “early arrival” to campus, make sure that you allow enough time to have the utilities turned on before you need to move in.
When you contact the utility companies, they will ask you for a “service address” and a “billing address.”
- The service address for the Shire Mods: 18757 E. Alosta Ave., Azusa, CA 91702, along with your mod number. Tell them the apartment number both ways, either A7 or 7A.
- The service address for Bowles: 1150, 1160, or 1170 E. Alosta Ave., Azusa, CA 91702, depending on what court you are assigned to, along with your apartment number (Bowles 502 would be 1150, apartment #2.)
- The service address for University Park: 1000 E. Alosta Ave., Azusa, CA 91702, along with the apartment number. Make sure you designate either A court or B court by saying apartment 119A or 201B.
- The service address for University Village: 801 E. Alosta Ave., Azusa, CA 91702, along with the apartment number.
- The service address for Alosta Place: 1130 E. Alosta Ave., Azusa, CA 91702, along with the apartment number. Tell them the apartment number both ways, A101 and 101A.
The billing address for everyone is your APU unit box number and the university address. If you do not have an APU box number, you can contact the Student Post Office at (626) 812-3030 to receive one.
Utility bills cannot be sent or received at Shire Mods, University Village, Bowles, or University Park.
To set up, cancel, or transfer electricity service, visit Azusa Light and Water’s website. You will need to set up your service by the date(s) in the information letter below, which is generally one month prior to your requested start date if you are establishing new service. If you neglect to set up service by the designated time, there is a good chance that your service will not be turned on by the time you arrive. Azusa Light and Water is closed on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. It is also important to note that while you do note have to set up trash service, every apartment dweller in Azusa is automatically billed a flat rate for trash.
Azusa Light and Water will need to verify your identification and check your credit in order to establish new service. You will need to authorize them to do so when you request service. If you do not pass the credit check, Azusa Light and Water will bill you a prepayment of $135, which will appear on your first statement.
Students do not need to set up water service.
To turn on the gas, call Southern California Gas Company at (800) 427-2200. Even if they tell you that the gas is “on,” you need to set up the account in your name (or roommate’s name) to avoid disconnection. If asked if there are any locked gates, say no.
To set up land-line telephone service, call Verizon at (800) 483-4000. Please note that the university cannot be held responsible for any wiring problems.
To request cable service, contact Charter Communications or Verizon Fios. If the unit is not wired for service, you may ask if it is possible to set it up at your cost. Units will not be rewired by the university.
If you have any questions about setting up or shutting down utilities, please contact the Office of Housing Services at (626) 812-3056, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.