Advanced Performance Improvement Certificate
The Advanced Performance Improvement Certificate program is a joint venture between the Office of Human Resources’ Workplace Learning and the School of Business and Management.
The 12-unit (4 three-unit classes) program is designed for post-baccalaureate APU employees who desire to develop their management and leadership skills, and apply concepts and principles that will enhance their personal and professional development.
The Advanced Performance Improvement Certificate program is committed to preparing employees to serve as organizational managers and leaders through a broad-based management education. The program builds conceptual skills and core values needed to become effective managers and leaders in today’s rapidly changing global business environment, and specifically emphasizes the application of theory to management practice.
This certificate program incorporates work which may be applied to a Master of Arts in Management (MAM). Academic advising with the MAM program coordinator is available for certificate program employees wishing to pursue their master’s degree.
ObjectivesThe Advanced Performance Improvement Certificate is based on the following objectives:
- Identify the major external and internal factors that influence employee behavior.
- Learn employee motivation theories and practices that impact employees, departments, and workplace.
- Describe the primary types of outcomes that may result from behavior and tell how they may influence future employee behavior.
- State how a supervisor’s leadership and expectations for employees can affect employee behavior.
- Define motivation theories and practices that describe the main approaches to understanding motivation at work.
- Detail how knowledge, skill, ability, and attitudes influence employee behavior.
- Describe the performance management cycle.
- Reiterate methods for successful deployment and adoption of major organizational initiatives.
- Recognize and describe performance-based management.
The Advanced Performance Improvement Certificate is granted to employees who complete all four courses listed below (12 units with at least a B grade in each course):
BUSI 598Executive Seminar*
HROD 500Human Resource Development
HROD 521Organizational Development and Change
*This course must be taken three times for a total of 3 units.
Should you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information on program distinctives and benefits, cost, prerequisites, and the application process can be found on the Certificate Programs page.