Damaged, Lost, or Stolen Equipment
Students are completely responsible for all issued equipment, including the laptop, AC adapter, and all accessories. Equipment that is defective will be replaced free of charge under the warranty, but damages caused by the student must be paid in full. In addition, in case of loss or theft, the insurance deductible of $1,000 must also be paid in full.
- The warranty covers defects in workmanship or equipment, as well as typical "wear and tear;" some examples are corrupted hard drives, defect CD drives, and ports or buttons that do not function correctly
- Students are responsible for all non-warranty repairs
- If there is a problem with a laptop, please bring it to IMT right away; this ensures that the student will receive a loaner laptop for the interim and thereby never be without a working computer
Theft and Loss
- All laptops are covered by full theft insurance within the United States (foreign countries excluded)
- There is a $1,000 deductible for negligent loss or theft
- If a laptop is stolen, file a Campus Safety report and contact the IMT Support Desk immediately
The cost of repairs varies depending on the extent of the damage, the laptop model, and other factors. The most common repair case is that of a laptop that has fallen off of a bunk or lofted bed. This will often crack the laptop case and screen, both of which are costly repairs. Repairs can range in cost from less than $100 to the full $1,000 deductible.
Reporting Damage, Loss, or Theft
All theft incidents must be reported to the Department of Campus Safety and a copy of the report they provide must be submitted to the IMT Support Desk within 48 hours of the incident.
Billing and Payment Options
Invoices are issued to the student via intracampus mail and state the replacement or repair fee for the equipment in question. Payments should be made at Cashiering Services (East Campus), after which the receipt duplicate and invoice should be submitted to the IMT Support Desk. You will receive your repaired equipment or replacement laptop once all fees are paid. During the interim, a loaner laptop will be issued to you.
At this time, IMT cannot charge repair or replacement fees to student financial accounts. Students who need to use funds on their accounts to pay for these fees must speak with their Student Financial Services counselor. Once clearance is received, please ask the counselor to contact the Laptop Program coordinator in IMT Student Services.