Course Redesign Institute
Every year, the Office of Innovative Teaching and Technology (part of the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment) offers a Course Redesign Institute (CRI). This intensive weeklong institute offers APU faculty an opportunity to redesign courses to produce better learning outcomes for students through the use of technology. Faculty participants connect with experienced colleagues, learn course design principles, get hands-on practice with cutting-edge technology, and walk away with the beginnings of a redesigned course plan.
Faculty members who participate in the CRI learn how to do the following:
- Apply course design principles
- Refine learning objectives
- Integrate active learning strategies
- Employ instructional technology appropriately
- Evaluate student learning
Faculty who are interested in redesigning their traditional face-to-face courses for blended delivery or in improving their existing online courses are encouraged to apply. Through a competitive application process, about a dozen faculty (full time, part time, and adjunct) will be selected to participate. Preference will be given to faculty who teach high-enrollment, introductory undergraduate courses and/or high-demand graduate courses and demonstrate basic technological competency or a learning posture toward it. The application process includes submitting the following:
- An online application
- A copy of the course syllabus that will be used for the redesign institute
- A letter of support from the dean’s office (dean or associate dean) regarding participation and the course that will be redesigned
- Attend the entire institute.
- Submit a revised syllabus that reflects effective design principles and best practices shortly after the institute.
- Teach the redesigned course within one year of the institute.
- Participate in three working luncheons throughout the year, focused on sharing best practices, fine tuning, and/or reporting progress.
- Submit a final project—a brief video or a short paper summarizing your course redesign experience.
Faculty members will receive an iPad and other valuable resources in exchange for their participation. Faculty participants agree to meet all of the above requirements of the institute; failure to do so will result in the return of the iPad to ITT. Successful completion of requirements will result in transfer of ownership of the iPad to the faculty member.
For more infoformation, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (626) 387-5877.