Online courses can provide a powerful learning experience when education professionals adhere to research-based standards in the construction and facilitation of online courses. Methods that work in traditional classrooms may not work online, and some opportunities that exist online may not exist in the face-to-face classroom. ITT offers services to help individual faculty and academic programs develop online courses that adhere to elearning tenets, such as learner-centered facilitation, personalization, and interactivity. If you are interested in developing an online course, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Quality Standards for Online Learning (PDF)
- Faculty Expectations for Online Teaching (PDF)
- Form A: Online Course Development Application
- Form B: Online Program Development Application
Requirements to Teach Online
It is APU policy that faculty must undergo proper orientation prior to teaching an online course. There are three primary reasons for this policy:
- WASC accreditation demands it. Our accreditation stipulates that all faculty teaching online courses must be qualified and fully trained. We verify faculty qualification by requiring faculty to enroll in the 3-week Orientation to Online Teaching (OOT) course.
- The OOT course orients faculty to APU’s philosophy and approach to online pedagogy. In particular, faculty will learn about how our Christian values impact online teaching and learning.
- The OOT course offers faculty technical training on effective use of the learning management system (LMS) and other technology tools. During the training, faculty will get hands-on practice using these tools.
We understand that some faculty come to APU with some or extensive online teaching experience, and they may think they don’t need the training. However, we believe that online learning at APU is unique, and we have designed our training with the aim of setting up faculty and students for success.
Typically, the OOT course must be completed prior to teaching online. However, in some rare cases, we permit the faculty to concurrently enroll in OOT while also teaching their first online course.
- Register for Orientation to Online Teaching.