Multi-Ethnic Leader Scholarship
“Developing Leadership for a Diverse, Christ-Centered Community”
About the Scholarship
The Office of Student Life, in conjunction with the Office of Multi-Ethnic Programs, invites first year Azusa Pacific University applicants to apply for the Multi-Ethnic Leader (MEL) Scholarship. This scholarship is part of a leadership development program that challenges students to hone their skills and abilities as servant-leaders and promote ethnic diversity and multicultural awareness at APU.
The scholarship is renewable, stackable, and open to incoming freshmen. Scholarship recipients are awarded $9,000 per year ($4,500 per semester). The application (including essays and reference) must be received by 5 p.m. on Friday, February 1, 2013.
Qualifications and Selection Criteria
- Christian commitment
- Minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.2
- Demonstrate passion for promoting multicultural awareness and racial reconciliation
- Proven leadership skills (e.g., president of student council, youth group leader, club officer, etc.)
- Undergraduate admission to APU
Requirements and Expectations
- Active involvement as an advocate for ethnic diversity, racial reconciliation, and multicultural awareness on campus
- Active participation in student leadership by sophomore year at APU
- Maintain GPA of 3.0 (cumulative per semester)
- On-campus residence every year
- Active involvement in a local church
- Two leadership studies courses, as outlined in the leadership studies minor, and one diversity course during four years at APU
- Participation in the required activities of the Multi-Ethnic Leadership Program (meetings, retreats, workshops, conferences, etc.)
- Required participation in MEL program activities (monthly meetings, retreats, workshops, conferences, etc.)
Email the completed MEL application (DOC) as an attachment to email@example.com.
Fax or mail a completed reference form (PDF) to the following:MEL Scholarship Coordinator
Office of Multi-Ethnic Programs
Azusa Pacific University
PO Box 7000
Azusa, CA 91702-7000
Fax: (626) 815-2010
All application materials are due by 5 p.m. on Friday, February 1, 2013.
Timeline and Notification
If you are selected for the final round of interviews you must be available for an on–campus or Skype interview during the week of March 4–8, 2013.
Following interviews, students will be notified of their scholarship status by phone or email.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Crystal Murguia, MEL scholarship coordinator, at (626) 815-6000, Ext. 3720 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.