At a Glance
Average completion time
Cost per unit
The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Certificate Program is designed as a non-degree course credit option for nurses with a master’s degree in nursing.* This program prepares nurses to work respectfully and collaboratively with client consumers who are experiencing severe mental illness to determine biopsychosocial health care needs within a complex and changing environment.
APU offers additional post-master’s certificates and graduate nursing programs to help you meet your educational goals.
*Students may be given transfer credits for previous content completed in a master’s degree program.
- Students may receive a PMHNP stipend in addition to many other financial aid opportunities, such as scholarships and loans.
- Graduates may apply for national certification through examination by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, and may be eligible for certain California certifications.
- The program is designed for the working professional, offering evening lectures and customized clinical experiences.
- Students may enroll part-time and take advantage of summer courses.
- Clinical experiences include primary health care and psychiatric mental health care on a continuum of community to hospital-based services for diverse cultural/ethnic groups, the poor, the underserved, and the homeless.
- The curriculum integrates theory and practice, and promotes the values of consumer-based wellness, resilience, and recovery.
- Students receive personalized attention in a supportive Christian environment from faculty who are experienced as clinical nurse specialists or nurse practitioners in a variety of settings.
Learn more about the program and our faculty.
School of Nursing Accreditation
Azusa Pacific University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). In addition, programs in the nursing school are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and the California Board of Registered Nursing.
Azusa Pacific University continues to be recognized annually among the nation’s best colleges, landing in the most prestigious category of U.S.News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges 2014 rankings (Tier One, No. 173), and being named 1 of 124 institutions in The Princeton Review’s Best Western Colleges 2014.