- Course Requirements
- Advanced Standing
- Transfer Units
- Additional Degree Requirements
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies requires 60 units of coursework: 36 units of core courses, 16 units in a selected concentration of ministry, 4 units of field education, and 4 units of a capstone project.
|Core Courses||36 units|
GBBL 511Seminar in Biblical Interpretation
GBBL 512The Gospels’ Witness to Christ
GBBL 521People of God
GMIN 516Dynamics of Christian Formation
GMIN 547Foundations for Ministry Life
GMIN 548Pastoral Counseling
GTHE 504God, Creation, and Humanity
GTHE 513History of the Modern Church
GTHE 514Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, and the Church
|Complete four courses in one of the following specialized areas of ministry:|
|Field Education||4 units|
GMIN 569Field Education in Ministry*
*Repeated for total of 4 units
|Integrative Ministry||4 units|
GMIN 608Integrative Ministry Project
|Requirements for the Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies||60 units|
- M.Div. students may petition for up to 15 units of advanced standing from upper-division undergraduate work in religion.
- The number of core courses in any department that may be replaced by advanced standing is limited to two.
- MAPS students may petition for up to 10 units of advanced standing from upper-division undergraduate work in religion.
- MA(TS) students may petition for up to 10 units of advanced standing on the basis of undergraduate biblical language study or upper-division undergraduate coursework in religion.
- MAYM students may petition for up to eight units of advanced standing from undergraduate coursework in religion.
- Prior to formal admission, the Request for Advanced Standing Petition form should be completed.
- All advanced standing examinations are administered in a proctored setting.
- Students must pass examinations for advanced standing within 12 months of their admission date. The cost for the exam is $50 per unit. If the student passes the exam(s), then he/she will not be required to pay full tuition for those units.
- A student may repeat advanced standing examinations one time without further charge.
- Courses in which a grade of B- or lower was earned may not be used for advanced standing.
- Students admitted under the exceptional category may not petition for advanced standing units.
- Undergraduate work must be from an accredited college or university.
A student may petition to transfer in up to 60 units for the M.Div., less any Advanced Standing units (e.g., 38 units transfer and 22 units Advanced Standing, or any other combination totaling 60 units), up to 40 units for the MAPS and MA(TS), and up to 32 units for the MAYM, less any Advanced Standing units, from other regionally or ATS-accredited graduate degree programs. Units transferred are limited to one half of an earned master’s degree. A minimum of 30 units for the M.Div., 22 units for the MAPS and MA(TS), and 16 units for the MAYM must be completed at Azusa Pacific Seminary.
Additional Degree Requirements
Advancement to Candidacy
In order for students to progress beyond the initial courses of the master’s degree program, they must be granted candidacy. Candidacy is granted by faculty approval upon the satisfactory completion of 16 units of coursework with a minimum of 2.7 grade-point average (3.0 is required for MATS degree), and evaluation of each student’s personal growth and commitment to the mission and goals of Azusa Pacific Seminary.
The Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies must be completed within eight years from the date of admission. APU coursework completed more than eight years prior to completion of degree requirements is not accepted toward the degree.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many units do I take each quarter/semester?
While there are no minimum or maximum unit requirements, 9 units is considered a full-time schedule.
How long is a semester?
Semesters generally run for 15 weeks.
How many hours does each class session require?
Both once a week classes, which last for 4 hours and 15 minutes, and twice a week classes, which run for 2 hours each, are available.
How many students will there be in my classes?
Most classes will average 15–18 students.
How many evenings per week do I attend classes?
Classes usually meet once a week, but some are offered twice a week.