The Center for Global Learning and Engagement strives to be a good steward of financial resources of the university, including funds allocated and collected for study abroad programs. The center makes every effort to support and serve students while at the same time upholding university refund policies. Please read the following information related to refunds for study abroad programs.
- Due to the nature of the study abroad experience and the importance to plan early, some, most, or all funds may not be refunded if a student voluntarily withdraws from a program before or during the program dates. It is the student’s responsibility to consult with the Office of Undergraduate Student Financial Services (SFS) before withdrawing from a program once it has begun. (In some cases, there may be implications that affect the student’s financial aid.)
- In the event that a student is dismissed from a program due to a violation of policy, academic integrity, or student conduct, no refunds will be given.
- Should a student participating in any study abroad program need to return home for a medical or immediate family emergency, APU will assist with arrangements for transportation or other appropriate resources. The student is financially responsible for any expenses related to this. For severe medical emergencies, APU provides emergency evacuation insurance. It is the student’s responsibility to purchase elective trip cancellation insurance coverage. APU will make every effort to return recoverable funds.
- No refund will be made if a student chooses not to participate in any activity provided or paid for by the program.
- Before the commencement of a study abroad program, full refunds are permissible in the event that no funds have been paid out to prepay program expenses, contracts, or activities. If a partial refund is available, an itemization of charges/fees will be provided upon request.
- If a student is not accepted to a program, any deposit made will be returned. Application fees are nonrefundable, but may be carried over if reapplying for the same program in a future term.
- In the event that APU cancels a study abroad program, the student will be refunded all program fees. Students who purchase their own airfare will NOT be refunded for airfare, and are encouraged to buy refundable tickets and/or trip cancellation insurance.