Field Education is a vital part of the learning experience in the Graduate School of Theology. The program helps students gain hands-on ministry experience and gives them the opportunity to integrate their academic learning with real ministry contexts. Our Field Education program consists of two components:
- The student’s supervised ministry experience in a church or other organization (8 hours per week; 6 semesters for M.Div. students, 4 semesters for most others).
- The Field Education Reflection Group, in which students meet regularly with a faculty mentor for the purpose of case study discussion, direction, and peer support in relation to students’ ministry site experiences, personal awareness, academic studies, and spiritual formation.
The Church needs leaders who can think theologically and carry out ministry functions effectively. We seek to foster such leaders through our Field Education program. For more information, please contact Rob Muthiah, Ph.D., director of field education, at (626) 815-5464 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources for Students
- Supervisor Letter and Learning Agreement (PDF)
- Learning Agreement (PDF)
- Supervisor Letter (PDF)
- Field Education Student Checklist (PDF)
- Ministerial Actions Checklist (PDF)
- How to Write a Case Study (PDF)
Documents in Spanish
- Carta de Supervisor de Campo y Acuerdo de Aprendizaje (PDF)
- Lista de Acciones Ministeriales (PDF)
- Silabo (PDF)
Resources for Instructors
- Instructor’s Checklist (PDF)
- Instructor’s Report (PDF)
- Final Evaluation Form for Students (PDF)
- Syllabus Template (MS Word)
- Discussing a Case Study (PDF)
- Learning Agreement B (PDF)