Skip to Content
Apply Request

Common Questions

To help you, we’ve put together a list of common University College financial aid questions and answers. If you do not find the answer you need, please email your question to our support team at

Applying for Financial Aid

Who can I contact about my financial aid?

What are the application deadlines?

How much will my financial aid cover?

What if I do not want financial aid?

How do I apply for financial aid?

If I did not file taxes, do I need to complete a FAFSA?

Bills and Payments

How do I pay my bill?

If you wish to mail your payment, checks should include the student ID in the memo, be made payable to University College, and sent to:

University College
Student Financial Services
511 W. Citrus Edge St.
Glendora, CA 91740


Am I eligible for a Student Loan?

What is the difference between subsidized loans and unsubsidized loans?

How do I apply for a loan?

How much can I borrow?

The amount of loan you are eligible for is determined by your year in school (based on transferable units) and whether you are a dependent or independent student.

Year in School Dependents Students
(except students whose parents are unable to obtain PLUS loans)
Independent Students
(and dependent undergraduate students whose parents are unable to obtain PLUS loans)
First-Year Undergraduate $5,500 – No more than $3,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. $9,500 – No more than $3,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.
Second-Year Undergraduate $6,500 – No more than $4,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. $10,500 – No more than $4,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.
Third-Year and Beyond Undergraduate $7,500 per year – No more than $5,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. $12,500 per year – No more than $5,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.
Graduate or Professional Degree Students Not Applicable $20,500
Maximum Total Debt from Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans $31,000 – No more than $23,000 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. $57,500 for undergraduate – No more than $23,000 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. $138,500 for graduate or professional students – No more than $65,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. The graduate debt limit includes all federal loans received for undergraduate study.

What are the current interest rates?

Undergraduate Students Graduate Students
Direct Subsidized Loans 3.4 percent N/A
Direct Unsubsidized Loans 6.8 percent 6.8 percent

Other than interest, is there a charge for this loan?

  • Yes, there is a 1 percent loan fee on all direct subsidized and direct unsubsidized loans.

What does the student have to do to remain eligible for a PLUS loan?

What happens if my parent applies for the PLUS loan and is denied?

  • As a student, you are then eligible to take out an additional unsubsidized Stafford loan ($4,000/year for sophomores, or $5,000/year for juniors and seniors). It is important that you contact UC’s Office of Student Financial Services if your parent is denied.

How does the PLUS loan compare to alternative loans?

  • The main advantage of the PLUS loan is the interest rate—it is fixed at 7.9 percent. The common variable interest rate on an alternative loan can range anywhere from 9 to 15 percent, or higher.

What is SAP?

  • SAP stands for Satisfactory Academic Progress. Read more about the SAP expectation for all students.

What is a Loan Exit Requirement? How do I fulfill it?

The federal government requires all loan borrowers to complete the Loan Exit Requirement as a recipient of a federal Stafford loan. Loan exits must be completed if you drop below half time, withdraw from school, or graduate. Loan Exit Requirement counseling can be completed online at Have the following information ready when you begin:

  • Expected employer (if unknown, you can answer “unknown”)
  • Next of kin (a family member who can be easily contacted)
  • Two references (names, addresses, and phone numbers)
  • Expected permanent address
  • Loan type (Subsidized Stafford, Unsubsidized Stafford)
  • Loan balances
  • Loan interest rate (caps at 8.25 percent)
  • Estimated time of repayment

Email UC’s Student Financial Services at once you have completed the loan exit process, so we may update your account.

Scholarships and Grants

What do I do if I am awarded a scholarship or other aid?

  • Notify UC’s Office of Student Financial Services immediately, because these amounts will need to be added to your financial aid award letter.

Disbursements and Refunds

If I qualify, when will my refund check be sent?

  • All financial aid is finalized after the add/drop period to ensure enrollment in courses. After the add/drop deadline, students with credit on their account will be processed for a refund. The refund process will take four to six weeks, enabling the university to verify actual loan amounts and refunds with the federal financial aid processors.

What if I want UC to hold a credit on my account for a future semester?

  • UC can hold a credit on your account for a future semester charge if requested by the student. To request this action, complete the Authorization to Apply Federal Title IV Program Funds and return it to the Office of Student Financial Services.

Paying for Books and Materials

Can I get an advance from my financial aid in order to purchase books or a computer?

  • Yes. Students can request a bookstore voucher for the Azusa Pacific University Bookstore. To request a voucher, contact the Office of Student Financial Services at (626) 857-2461.

How do I use my book voucher to pay for books at the APU Bookstore when I order online?

  • Go to and select “Cougar Buck” for tender option. You will then be prompted to enter your student ID number.

Does financial aid cover my LabPaqs?

  • LabPaqs require an up-front, out-of-pocket cost to students. For students receiving a financial aid refund, they can expect to receive those refunds approximately four to six weeks into the session and can use those funds to reimburse themselves for the out-of-pocket costs.

Withdrawal/Drop Policy

How much will I owe if I withdraw from a class?

  • Financial aid and the amount you owe are dependent on the number of courses you are enrolled in. If you are considering changing your course load, contact the Office of Student Financial Services at (626) 857-2461 or to discuss the options.

How does a withdrawal or a failing grade affect my financial aid at UC?

  • Withdrawing from or failing classes can negatively affect your financial aid eligibility. Students are expected to make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward their degree.

Note: All stated financial information is current for the 2013–14 award year.