As part of our mission to make higher education accessible to all types of learners, University College invites military service members, veterans, and spouses of active or reserve military service members to enroll in our academic programs.

As part of Azusa Pacific University, University College is a Servicemembers Opportunity College, offering military and veteran students help in covering tuition expenses.

Choose Your Program

How to apply to UC:

Visit Admissions to learn more about deadlines and requirements.

Ready to apply? Fill out this simple form and UC’s representative for graduate and military programs will contact you shortly.

First steps after applying to UC:

  1. Apply for your GI Bill benefits online (VONAPP).
  2. Request your Certificate of Eligibility (you will be able to do this step once your have applied for your benefits through VONAPP).
  3. Contact UC’s senior program representative for graduate and military programs, Ellen Hoffer, at (626) 857-2456 or for additional details or questions about applying to UC or how to use your military benefits at UC. (Application fee will be waived for military applicants.)

Tuition Discount

100–200-level class (online)$300 per unit
300–400-level class (online)$350 per unit
On campus$450 per unit
Master’s level$500 per unit

All stated financial information is subject to change.

The military tuition discount is available to military service members, and spouses of active or reserve military service members. For the purposes of this tuition discount, military service members are defined as:

  • U.S. Air Force: active duty, reserve
  • U.S. Army: active duty, Army National Guard on active duty, Army Reserve
  • U.S. Navy: active duty, Naval Reserve in active duty status
  • U.S. Marines: active duty
  • U.S. Coast Guard: active duty, reserve

“Active” is defined as after basic training is complete.

Understanding Your Benefits

The Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bill (VA) has information regarding your educational benefits. You can read about recent changes to your benefits and learn about the many benefits available to you—visit the Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bill website to learn more.

Changes to the Post-9/11 GI Bill: There are many important changes that may affect a student using their VA educational benefits. Keep up to date on the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Yellow Ribbon Program: The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008. The program provides an agreement to award scholarships to qualified students by funding tuition and fees that exceed benefits available under the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33).

Licensing and Certification: You can receive reimbursement for licensing and certification tests. The VA will only pay for the cost of the tests, up to $2,000. Visit the VA for eligibility requirements and other relevant information.

National Testing Program: The VA will reimburse eligible students for national tests. Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill you will be charged one month of entitlement for each test taken or each $1,460 reimbursed (whichever is less). Visit the VA for a current list of approved national tests.

Benefit Comparison Chart: There are various educational benefits available to veterans. See the VA Benefit Comparison Chart to make the most informed decision.

Records and Training Transcripts

ACE (American Council on Education) explains how your military training and experience can be translated into academic credit. Learn more in the military guide.

Each branch of the military has its own transcript service. Visit the appropriate transcript service below in order to receive your official transcript:


There are a number of resources available to veterans. The VA, AMVETS, and DAV offer many services to veterans and their dependents. Whether it be for your education or disability benefits, these organizations can help with the benefits you have earned.

Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC): University College is a member of the SOC, which was created in 1972 to provide educational opportunities to service members who, because they frequently moved from place to place, had trouble completing college degrees. Visit the SOC website to see service-specific information.

Military OneSource: This is a 24/7 resource for military members, their spouses, and veterans. Visit the Military OneSource website for more information.

Transition Assistance Program (TAP): There are many transitional resources available to veterans, and TAP can help, whether you are about to separate or have already separated from active-duty service. Visit the TAP website for more information.

*Please contact a program representative at (855) 276-8669 or for more-detailed information about tuition benefits for UC’s certificate programs.