For Graduate Students
Graduate Writers Website
The Writing Center is excited to announce a new website just for graduate student writers at APU! The site is dedicated to demystifying the challenges of working and writing at the graduate level with helpful articles, tips, and advice. You’ll also find a page designed to make the dissertation process as smooth and painless as possible. Check it out. Connect with your fellow students. Become a confident and productive writer!
At any stage of the writing process, master’s and doctoral students can meet with a writing coach at the Azusa, Los Angeles, or High Desert campus to receive individualized appointments and improve their writing projects and, more importantly, their writing skills.
- To make an appointment, go to the Writing Center online at apu.mywconline.com.
- Register and log in.
- Select a schedule from the dropdown menu.
- White boxes indicate open 30-minute slots; select the day, time, and graduate writing coach that work best for you.
- Fill out the appointment form completely.
- Students may make up to two 30- or 60-minute appointments per week and one appointment per day; if you need to cancel, please do so at least 24 hours in advance.
Online Appointments for Graduate Students
Graduate students have the option of meeting with an experienced writing coach online. Students use video, phone, or chat during the appointment to work with a writing coach in real time. Doctoral students should choose “Online Appointments” from the dropdown menu on the online schedule to make appointments with Basil Considine, Ph.D. Visit our graduate writing website to learn more about making and participating in writing appointments.
- To make an appointment, visit the Writing Center online at apu.mywconline.com.
- Register and log in.
- Online appointments are available on all schedules in the dropdown menu at the top of the page.
- White boxes indicate open 30-minute slots; select the day, time, and graduate writing coach that work best for you. Please note that not all coaches are available online. Please schedule 60-minute appointments for online appointments.
- After saving your appointment, you may upload your writing project, but this step is not required.
- A few minutes before your scheduled appointment time, log in to apu.mywconline.com and click on your yellow appointment box.
- Click on “Start or Join Online Consultation” to begin your appointment.
- For more information, watch a video on how to participate in an online appointment, or download detailed instructions about Scheduling Online Appointments (PDF).
- Students may make up to two 30- or 60-minute appointments per week and one appointment per day. If you need to cancel, please do so at least 24 hours in advance.
Check our calendar for upcoming graduate workshops. If you would like to attend one of our upcoming online graduate workshops, send us an RSVP.
Doctoral Workshop: Planning Your Dissertation
This online workshop focuses on how to efficiently craft and write a doctoral dissertation. It is primarily aimed at second- and third-year doctoral students who have completed substantial coursework in their program but have not yet completed their qualifying exams or drafted a dissertation proposal/prospectus. It will provide a brief overview of the candidacy and dissertation writing processes, offer tips on conducting preliminary research and discussing topics with doctoral advisors, and conclude with suggestions for effective note-taking and management of dissertation-related information.
Doctoral Workshop: Proposal Writing
This online workshop is primarily aimed at doctoral students who have completed their primary coursework and are writing or preparing to write their dissertation proposal. It will include an overview of the general structure of the proposal, proposal-specific writing tips, and an overview of related resources at APU. Approximately half of the workshop time is allocated for answering student questions.
Schedule Writing into Your Busy Life
Learn how to schedule writing into your day with realistic and regular goals that will cut down on procrastination and eliminate that persistent feeling of guilt. By allowing time to work through the writing process, you will create better arguments with stronger and smoother prose and eliminate the majority of your sentence-level errors. We will also cover how to use your Google Calendar (free with your APU or any Gmail account) to schedule writing, set tasks, receive reminders and alerts, and get a handle on your complicated life. Bring a laptop or tablet, if possible.
How to Become a Productive Writer
Writing is a major part of any master’s or doctoral program, as well as most careers. In this workshop, you will learn how to brave the blank page with practical brainstorming and drafting strategies that will help you start confidently. We will also discuss tips and tools to help you become a productive writer who works quickly and without self-censorship. Write that major paper. Finish your dissertation. We can help.
Revision Strategies for Graduate Students and Working Professionals
In this workshop, we will cover several strategies for revising with an eye toward organization and transitions, editing in order to make your prose sound better, and proofreading to catch sentence-level errors. Discussion topics will range from small projects such as emails and cover letters to articles and dissertation chapters. We will also cover the 10 most common writing errors, so you will know what to look for when proofreading. Come gain tools that you will use throughout the rest of your education and career.